Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

*Fluctuating rpms, tick, bang & other probs- 97Civic HX

Old 11-12-2006, 11:14 AM
minmn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Fluctuating rpms, tick, bang & other probs- 97Civic HX

I recently bought a 97 Honda Civic HX automatic [ 4-Cyl. 1.6L VTEC-E ] with 109970 miles on it.
HELP! I'm a gal and won't be doing my own work, but I need answers. I've had the car looked at by 2 mechanics and worked on. Their ideas range from "We don't know." to "it is your torque converter." The car brings up no codes. No sensor issues found. No warning lights go on.

In the last 3 months the following work has been done:
timing belt /tensioner, water pump, front upper control arms, adjust the valves, alt belt, power steering and AC belt, cap and rotor for distributor [minor tuneup], spark plugs, New oil pan gasket, oil change & Lucas fluid put in, front brake pads, cleaned out rear brakes, and transmission fluid changed with Honda fluid.

SYMPTOMS: [started after all those repairs---]
#1: RPM's vacillate between 1900 - 2200 while the car is driven at 35-42 MPH. It use to slightly fluctuate only while stopped at a stop sign. After changing the transmission fluid, then it started at the 1900-2200 rpm's. It occurs when steady pressure is on the pedal between those rpms. Since all the repairs, the car hasn't fluctuated while waiting at stop lights. Instead, I get the problem while driving, not accelerating. When the rpm dial arrives at the 1900- 2000 rpm mark, the fluctuation starts occurring. It happens when I'm driving at a constant speed of 40 or 38 or 42 mph. I'm applying steady pedal pressure and the engine/motor hum rises/falls in sound. While doing so, the rpm dial drops up/down in connection to the rising/falling hum. I can feel this rpm surge/decline also. The rpm dial and engine hum should be steady. ANY IDEAS???

#2: When started after sitting over night or sitting for 2-3 hours, I hear a distinctive rapid tick, tick, tick, tick... sound from under the hood. AFter a minute or less it goes away. The rapid ticking noise seems metallic in sound quality. It is similar to the sound you hear when your gas stove top burner’s pilot light is trying to light up. ANY IDEAS???

#3: When stopped at a light, I periodically get a rapid bang, bang, bang type clanking under the hood. Whatever is doing it seems to be of such force to be making the hood rattle. When I let up on the brake it goes away fully or partially. It never occurs while driving. The car doesn't try to lurch. If I let up on the brake, the rapid banging stops [occasionally just diminishes]. It never occurs if my foot is on the gas or if I just let it roll in drive. It just knocks[bangs] and vibrates the car’s front end with the brake depressed.ANY IDEAS???

#4: Unrelated prob: a couple times a week the car won't turn over- totally dead- or so it seems. Moving the key back and worth, attempting to start it, makes it start usually after the 3rd or 4th attempt. I had the steering column taken apart to see if it was electrical or ignition switch. I was told it isn't electrical. Rather they were guessing it may be the tumbler needing replacing [and new keys]. Any other possibilities? ??? Does this sound logical?? IDEAS?

The mechanic doesn't know where the ticking is coming from and the car wasn't banging while he had it overnight.
He is guessing the torque converter needs replacing and it isn't that unusual for a Honda- so he says. He says if I don't fix it I'll destroy the transmission. And, it could go any time. ??IDEAS, IDEAS to explore, please.

It seems the more I fix, the more stuff goes wrong.
-----An unhappy, slowly going broke gal.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Lynxx
Methanol Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 - the problem of the engine changing rpms while driving could be due to a converter lockup solenoid. Sometimes they can be pulled and cleaned (there is a screen that gets dirty).
#2 - The rapid ticking is a distinct telltale sign of a valve out of adjustment, or in your case, probably low oil pressure at idle causing the looseness in a valve or two. Your mechanic should be able to remedy this relatively easily by making another adjustment (just make sure they understand that it does it when cold)
#3 - I don't have the slightest clue. It sounds like something in the brake system is at fault, but to make that kind of racket... not sure.
#4 - Sounds very much like a faulty ignition switch.
Hope this helps...