Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

engine swap questions

Old 04-15-2006, 12:07 PM
blownup95ex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap questions

My car came stock with a D16Z6 block. I put a D16A6 block in it. I ran into a problem once I got it all put in. The thermostat housing on the Z6 block has a sensor in it, and the A6 block does not. Should I have a problem if I just leave the connector unplugged?? Also do you know of any problems I would run in to putting this head with this block? I know the headgasket for the blocks are different. The A6 gasket is a single piece, made of that mushy metal like the intake or exhaust gasket, but the Z6's gasket is 3 (i think) really thin sheets of metals together. There is like a $20 price difference in the two. I've been using the cheaper, one piece headgasket, is this the right one??

Btw My car is a 95 civic ex and the donor car was a 91 crx SI (i think). any info would be great!
Old 04-15-2006, 12:42 PM
blownup95ex

the oil orface was already removed because the block has already had a VTEC head on it. Y8 I believe. I have the Z6 bolts. But been using the A6 headgasket. could this mess up my head??

When I first put this block in, I put a Y8 head on it and it was making a crazy knocking noise. I reset the valves and that helped a little, but it still made a knocking noise. I replaced the bent valve in my Z6 head (had the cam checked and it's ok.) put it on, and after a few seconds it made a different, new knocking noise. I checked the bottom end and it's fine. I'm just super confused on this.

As for the thermo sensor, I could I just used the water tube/thermo housing off my Z6 block on the A6 block, right?? And let the other sensor just chill. I did that before and it worked. I just FORGOT that I had to do that before I dropped the motor in.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:20 PM
blownup95ex

no info at all??? wow