Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Help - Transmission Troubles!!!

Old 02-17-2006, 03:46 AM
dac675

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Transmission Troubles!!!

If anyone out there can lend some advice, I would greatly appreciate it!!!
I have a '98 Accord EX 3.0 with an automatic. The car started to develop transmission problems - banging hard into gear - delayed shifts followed by a bang into gear, etc. I talked to some mechanics at my local Honda dealership and they said that the transmission was probably fried and that all rebuilds (both Honda and afternarket) were hit and miss, and that their suggestion would be a (theoretically) good transmission from a salvage yard. I picked up a tranmy and installed it - and it does the SAME exact thing. It is as if it was never changed.
What I am starting to think is that since the symptoms are the exact same, maybe it isn't a tranny problem - is it possible it is a computer or sensor issue? I am trying to avoid changing the tranny again only to find out that it is still the same. Anyone have any similar experience? Does anyone know if there is a way to check the computer? I am not getting any check engine light or anything like that...

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-2006, 04:36 PM
AcuraFanatic

Any check engine lights? It screams PCM or ECU error to me.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
cosmos

i would suggest checking ur engine and trans mounts
have someone sit in the car with brakes on and put it into gear forward and reverse to see if the engine jerks around. (that's my suggestion so far)
good luck
Old 04-04-2006, 12:59 AM
thecarguy

More than likely sounds like the valve body inside the transmission is bad. If the line pressure in the transmission isn't correct it can cause harsh delayed shifts. I'd also have your TCM checked. It's basically an ecu that controls your tranny. Because your tranny is electronically controlled, there aren't any components you can replace. replace tcm and see if that does anything. you've already proved it's not your transmission. hth