Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

CRVTEC vs LSVTEC

Old 01-07-2006, 12:47 PM
97civicEXVTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRVTEC vs LSVTEC

which one is easier to build? which one yields the best results for n/a? for turbo?
Old 01-07-2006, 04:40 PM
b16ahybrid

They are both honda B-series motors so they will be the same to build....(as far as difficulty)..
Depends on your plans, the b120 has more tq because of the higher displacement... Research the b20 and you'll find more then enough info....
Old 01-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I wouldn't touch the B20 with a 10 foot pole. The cylinder sleeves are crap. If you plan on boosting this motor, get the B18B, sleeve it and bore it out and you will have a much more reliable motor.

Since everyone will disagree with me on the B20 being garbage, here is how the cylinder sleeves are cast compared to the other B series motors: http://dwolsten.tripod.com/articles/jan96a.html
Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
I wouldn't touch the B20 with a 10 foot pole. The cylinder sleeves are crap. If you plan on boosting this motor, get the B18B, sleeve it and bore it out and you will have a much more reliable motor.

Since everyone will disagree with me on the B20 being garbage, here is how the cylinder sleeves are cast compared to the other B series motors: http://dwolsten.tripod.com/articles/jan96a.html
Or you could just installs some Darton sleeves. Eitherway, both are similar in nature. The B20 has the obvious advantage being a larger engine, I'd seen many people successfully run in excess of 15psi on sleeved B20 blocks. You'll have to have it machined to have an oil line run for VTEC operation on either block.

Can't go wrong with LS/VTEC either. My friend just finished building his EG hatch and is running a 10.4 on slicks.

Last edited by AcuraFanatic; 01-08-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by AF
Or you could just installs some Darton sleeves. Eitherway, both are similar in nature. The B20 has the obvious advantage being a larger engine, I'd seen many people successfully run in excess of 15psi on sleeved B20 blocks. You'll have to have it machined to have an oil line run for VTEC operation on either block.

Can't go wrong with LS/VTEC either. My friend just finished building his EG hatch and is running a 10.4 on slicks.
True, true. The thing is that in stock form, the B20 blows. Once you start sleeving the motor and adding internals, it really doesn't matter which engine you start out with since they both can be turned into identical engines. It all really depends on how cheap you can get each motor and how far you are willing to build it.