Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Block Gaurds "Do or Dont"

Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 AM
steven_SA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Gaurds "Do or Dont"

Just wanted to know if anyone has any problems with block gaurds distorting cyclinders. I read somewhere that someone installed a block gaurd and it caused one of his pistons to siezed up at the top of the cyclinderd. Due to the distortion created by the gaurd.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:11 AM
SICK BOY
gsr-t hatch in progress!

if u ever put in a block guard it should be before you hone out the cylinders for new pistons, so the distortion will be corrected. there is no reason to just put in a block guard and not put in new pistons and rods.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:22 AM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

If anyone is going to go through that much work, might as well just get some good closed-deck sleeves.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:42 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PacificDude
If anyone is going to go through that much work, might as well just get some good closed-deck sleeves.
:werd:

I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by steven_SA
Just wanted to know if anyone has any problems with block gaurds distorting cyclinders. I read somewhere that someone installed a block gaurd and it caused one of his pistons to siezed up at the top of the cyclinderd. Due to the distortion created by the gaurd.
The distortion isn't created by the guard, but rather the retards that decide to install it by smaking it in with a hammer. It needs to be machined to fit, welded in, the block needs to be redecked, and then the cylinders need to be rebored to correct any out-of-round.

I agree with Westcoaststyle. Screw the work of a block guard and just get it sleeved.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:35 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by Shmoo
The distortion isn't created by the guard, but rather the retards that decide to install it by smaking it in with a hammer. It needs to be machined to fit, welded in, the block needs to be redecked, and then the cylinders need to be rebored to correct any out-of-round.

I agree with Westcoaststyle. Screw the work of a block guard and just get it sleeved.

I second (or third) that.