Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Easy turbo question?

Old 07-20-2005, 10:52 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy turbo question?

For those of you with knowledge on turbocharging a B18C1 (GSR) I have a question regarding a T3/T4 turbo setup. At about what RPM's would a T3/T4 turbo be spooled fast enough to really start going to work? I'm trying to get a good idea for what the powerband looks like for this kind of setup, and what options to look at for increasing the powerband at the lower end. Thanks fellas
Old 07-21-2005, 03:31 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by PacificDude
For those of you with knowledge on turbocharging a B18C1 (GSR) I have a question regarding a T3/T4 turbo setup. At about what RPM's would a T3/T4 turbo be spooled fast enough to really start going to work? I'm trying to get a good idea for what the powerband looks like for this kind of setup, and what options to look at for increasing the powerband at the lower end. Thanks fellas
Hey,
I don't know what a T3/T4 setup looks like, don't know anyone with one. But, I have a T25 on a B16A/GSR head, and it spools real nice
I know the T3/T4 flows alot better at high rpm, but with a fast spooling turbo, you could already be seeing boost at 2500 rpm.
My friend has a 13G on a B16A, and he even said that when he raced someone on a roll, with a T3/T4 turbo, he was already accelerating while the other guy was still spooling. Personally, I think it's a little nicer to have some usuable torque so u can cruise with the A/C on and still rip
I can drive it almost like a DSM with low rpm and quick shifts.
It's nice b/c I used to have 4-1 headers and they had NO torque, used to have to RIP it to go quickly. ESPECIALLY with the A/C on the car was almost unusable, LOL.
If u got a T3/T4 setup, please post your dyno sheets, I'd like to see the difference the bigger compressor makes on the top-end

Hope this helps

-Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 AM
BlueShadow

Most T3/T04E with 0.63 a/r turbines reach full boost by around 4500-4800 RPM's and pull all the way to redline. A T04B will spool slightly faster, and if you go with a smaller turbine a/r like 0.48 it will spool a lot faster but die out up top.

Are you looking for a turbo that gives you better upper RPM performance or better lower RPM performance?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:31 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by BlueShadow
Most T3/T04E with 0.63 a/r turbines reach full boost by around 4500-4800 RPM's and pull all the way to redline. A T04B will spool slightly faster, and if you go with a smaller turbine a/r like 0.48 it will spool a lot faster but die out up top.

Are you looking for a turbo that gives you better upper RPM performance or better lower RPM performance?

Yep it all depends on the trim.
Not all t3t4hybrid turbo's spool he same, larger ones take longer.
My t3t40e .57 trim .63 a/r started to spool about 2,000rpm and had full boost by about 4,500rpm (13.5psi), that was on my b16a.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:00 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by BlueShadow
I'm looking for a turbo that gives upper RPM performance, and researching how the low end power can be achieved. I've never heard of a twin turbo B-series motor to handle low and high RPM's. That would certainly be pretty cool, but I'm not sure if a B18C1 would move enough volume to run two turbos. Maybe a low spooling supercharger and a high spooling turbo to take over at high RPM's???

I've got this dustcloud of theories and ideas in my head; I'm trying to clear 'em all up.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:10 PM
BlueShadow

Twin turbos and twin charging...umm yeah...

You could try getting a ball bearing turbo from Garrett. Look into the GT28RS, or GT2871R. They have good low end performance and will pull all the way to redline. I believe the GT28RS is good for 300 WHP but has been pushed to 350WHP in the past. And the 2871R has been pushed to around 400 WHP. But you can make 250-300 WHP with the GT28RS an probably a little more with the 2871R.