Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

vtec engine

Old 06-22-2005, 06:55 PM
JongEXR
JongEXR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec engine

hey guys i got 97 accord exr vtec. just want to ask how should i know if the vtec is working or not. and got one more Q? by stepping on gas pedal some cars suppose to kick in right away but my car i dont know what should i do its like delay reaction steeping on gas pedal to the floor it takes 2-3 secs to kick in (accelerate)so if anybody can tell me what to do or whatever pls need help. thanx
Old 06-22-2005, 07:46 PM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

im guessing your new to honda's....vtec engages at a certain rpm depending on your car...it just doesn't kick in whenever you give gas
Old 06-22-2005, 07:50 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you ever see the power curve on a hoinda bud... vtec doesnt really kick... and that acceleration, if you have an automativ is the car downshifting so it's higher in the powerband
Old 06-24-2005, 07:29 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by JongEXR
hey guys i got 97 accord exr vtec. just want to ask how should i know if the vtec is working or not. and got one more Q? by stepping on gas pedal some cars suppose to kick in right away but my car i dont know what should i do its like delay reaction steeping on gas pedal to the floor it takes 2-3 secs to kick in (accelerate)so if anybody can tell me what to do or whatever pls need help. thanx
VTEC is working when you feel a bit more power nearer the redline. Since it's an Accord, it has VTEC only on the intake valves, which doesn't really make alot of torque difference, hence that is why it doesn't feel like a "kick", it will just pull a little harder and smoother near the top of your rev-range. If it was a DOHC VTEC motor, such as a B16 or B18c1 in a GSR or CIvic SI, both the intake and exhaust valves use VTEC, which produces a noticable torque increase when VTEC hits (and alotta noise). Take the other guys' advice and look up dyno graphs of honda accords, and you will see where VTEC turns on, it would be a small spike in the torque curve. I'm confused on the second question, what do un mean it doesn't kick in right away? VTEC works when the RPM's are higher, and will turn on at a CERTAIN rpm, prob like 4800 in ur accord. It always turns on at that specific RPM, if it were to turn on any sooner, the VTEC action of making the intake valve stay open longer, would only hurt your low-end power. Basically, the Honda Engineer's designed it so it is activated by the ECU when it is most advantageous.
Hope this helps.
Later,
Mike