Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Tuning a high comp LSVTEC

Old 06-04-2005, 12:41 AM
93vtecda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning a high comp LSVTEC

I'm running an LSVTEC in my 93 Integra GS and I'm trying to figure out how to tune it NA to run mid 13's. I have a B18A1 bottom end with JDM 98 spec ITR pistons (11:1 comp) type r oil and water pump, type r intake manifold, sir2 throttle body, JDM ITR cams, SIR2 head, DC sports header, high flow cat, tanabe racing medalion catback exhaust, gsr ecu with apexi vafc, gsr tranny, clutchmasters stage 1 clutch, and an aem intake. Im wondering if i have the settings on the vafc too rich or not enough at all. Anyone with some insight on this issue, PLEASE let me know. I just ran my car on the track and I was consistantly running low 15's with decent launches, so I'm trying to figure out what im doing wrong.
Thanks
-Grant
Old 06-04-2005, 05:32 AM
pomansouth

move your vtec point up little by little until the crossover feels seemless, it feels almost non-existant. Take your plugs out and look at them, make sure they are not a dark brown, if they are, lean it out a hair to get that light brown color.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Paulll
Hail Bent

post your track times.

Get hondata
Old 06-04-2005, 01:48 PM
pomansouth

best advice, get hondata and some dyno time.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:25 PM
flatliner
Fix It

with all the mods. im wondering if a stock ecu can mix the fuel correctly, you probally have a very crisp smooth exhaust sound, you want almost a bubbly sound, start with an adjustable fuel regulator.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:41 AM
servion

Fuel to air ratio is less than 1/2 the battle when it comes to getting properly tuned. Plus, its really scary and downright unsafe ot tune your car solely based on the plugs or how it sounds... you'll kick yourself later if you do. (reading Plugs is 100% necessary to tune your car, but setting the fuel up should be done with a wideband at minimum). Ignition timing is where the power is made... but you can't tune that without some form of standalone and dyno time. Definitely consider a standalone or a modified honda setup such as uberdata/crome/hondata or my personal favorite, NepTune.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by servion
Fuel to air ratio is less than 1/2 the battle when it comes to getting properly tuned. Plus, its really scary and downright unsafe ot tune your car solely based on the plugs or how it sounds... you'll kick yourself later if you do. (reading Plugs is 100% necessary to tune your car, but setting the fuel up should be done with a wideband at minimum). Ignition timing is where the power is made... but you can't tune that without some form of standalone and dyno time. Definitely consider a standalone or a modified honda setup such as uberdata/crome/hondata or my personal favorite, NepTune.

good advice,
guessing when it comes to tuning is like guessing if there is a parachute in your backpack as you jump out of the plane....
Old 06-09-2005, 06:49 PM
flatliner
Fix It

thinking back before fancy options exhisted. A pressure regulator to start. msd setup pak out coil to plug, a vaccum measurement (max vac on timing at idle for timing) and the old one, harder than stock vaccumm lines.