Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

How do i remove the shift linkage from the tranny?

Old 05-20-2005, 09:02 PM
ABTsportsline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i remove the shift linkage from the tranny?

I'm doing an engine swap, and while trying to remove the engine, after i got all the engine mounts off, the only thing holding it on now is the shift linkage. Its the part that mounts to the actual transmission - the swivel joint. There seems to be a hollow bar going through the joint - but it doesn't seem to have any threads or anything. how do i remove this? is this what is holding it on?

i need to get this out so any information would be helpful. all the searches i do come up with how to's for the shift linkage removal on the stick shift side, not the tranny side.

thanks!
Old 05-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You need an 8mm punch. Just punch out the spring clip and it should come right off. Sometimes it can be a pain, so good luck.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
civicandtegra

what u swapin and into what, just wanted to know
Old 05-31-2005, 09:41 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by Shmoo
You need an 8mm punch. Just punch out the spring clip and it should come right off. Sometimes it can be a pain, so good luck.

yep, or do what I did and just forgo all that and leak the shift linkage hooked up
Old 05-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by b16ahybrid
yep, or do what I did and just forgo all that and leak the shift linkage hooked up
Just listening to some people's horror stories about trying to remove that spring pin makes that seem like a great option. I'll have to see when I do my clutch install.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 PM
qtiger

Just listening to some people's horror stories about trying to remove that spring pin makes that seem like a great option. I'll have to see when I do my clutch install.

I managed to get my whole motor out of and back into an engine bay with linkage still attached, but it was... exciting.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 AM
b16ahybrid

I undid one and that was the last one...
I always leave it attached now.
It's a little harder positioning the motor at first (while it's still above the engine bay) but if you have two people it's a breeze. Once the motor is lowered enough into the engine bay just aim the linkage to the side so it comes out the passenger fender well and the motor from there is cake.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:22 AM
tonysstudio

what i did was take an AC bolt (the ones with a point) and grind the tip down about 1/2 inch just a little and use a hammer to pound it out. works everytime. i have the (bitch pin remover) we call it for my swaps.