Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Forced induction setup 1st time honda builder!!!

Old 02-21-2005, 02:39 PM
bluespeed33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced induction setup 1st time honda builder!!!

Hey guys I am building my first honda motor... im not too experienced with the honda stuff so I am pretty much going ALL OUT! Well here is the engine setup basically...

Its all LS parts
Top End : LS head (ported and polished)
Crower Stage 2 turbo cams
Crower dual valve springs
Crower titanium retainers
Crower titanium valves
3 angle valve job
ARP head studs
MLS headgasket

Bottom End: LS block bored .20 over
Darton MID sleeved
Eagle H beam rods
ARP rod bolts
Je/SRP 8.5:1 forged pistons
knife edged, micropolished, balanced crank
Race bearings

I have a few questions for the tech experts, or those who have had simular buildups... (I will be using an Apexi SAFC2 and MSD ignition system)

Besides all of the bolt ons like underdrive pulleys, cam gears, 3" exhaust, bigger injectors, better fuel pump, lightweight flywheel, stage 3 clutchmaster clutch, and the stage 3 axles (all of which i already have) is there anything else I should get or do to bullet proof this engine? I plan on getting a new oil pump (I heard a GSR is better for the LS, is this true? and what about the oil squirters? should these be upgraded?)

I plan on putting the engine togather completely and driving the car some to break in the engine before turboing it... I have not got the turbo kit yet either but i want to make a solid 500HP (that is my goal) i think with the engine built with everything it has I should be able to sustain that power... any ideas on how much boost the LS takes to get there? or how much boost this engine buildup should hold safely? I was also thinking about getting a hondata system instead of the SAFC and MSD systems... I want to remove or atleast raise the rev limiter to take the car to about 8500 or 9k rpm (the crank, rods and valvetrain should hold it) Does anyone know what speed governor is on the LS ecu, i need a chipped ecu or the hondata system... any advice on which would be better? Thanks for any advice on the buildup or tips!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:56 PM
bluespeed33

I think ill upgrade to a 70mm throttle body too, anyone have any advice on which one to get? also what about an intake manifold... I know there arent too many options for the LS would an extrude hone or port and polish be worth while? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:40 PM
b16ahybrid

I would definatly recomend hondata or something simular.
With that much money invested and your goal you shouldn't risk it with half ass tuning parts.
Upgrade your intank pump for a higher volume (255lph) pump get some larger injectors (800cc +) look into an aftermarket ignition such as the msd and then of course hondata.
Sounds lke you have done your research.
I would recomend the gs-r oil pump too.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:39 PM
bluespeed33

Hey man, have you ever had your car dynoed? what kind of setup are you running?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:45 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by bluespeed33
Hey man, have you ever had your car dynoed? what kind of setup are you running?

Who me?
248whp and 175ft lbs @ 9psi
I now run 13-14psi...I need to retune it, as the tunei'm currently on is very conservative.
It's a custom set-up pieced together by me.
drag manifold w/tial 35mm wg
garrett t3t40E .57trim .63 A/R
21x9x3" fmic
custom piping
megan racing bov (cheap but works awesome)
tuning consists of the following:
255lph intank pump
aem fpr
756cc delphi injectors
hondata
msd 6al
GM 3bar map sensor
All fed through a act extreem pressure plate w/street disk.
Plans last spring were for a mild build (rods, pistons, possibly sleeves) and running high 300-low 400whp, but decided to wait...I'm working on moving my set-up to a lighter car (92-95 hatch) this summer/winter and going full force next spring...