Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

b16 running hot help....

Old 02-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Samuels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 running hot help....

My b16 is losing coolant. I just bought this car last week and the guy had the charge the battery and add coolant because it had been sitting due to no heat. Today my temp guage goes to 250 just idleing but the cars guage stays right in the middle. I start to drive it and the cars temp guage rises 3/4 and I immediately get it back home before it ran completely hot. Well what do you know its got low coolant.

The car seems to run perfect but what is causing it to lose all its coolant within a week. I only drove the car maybe 2-3 hours tops the whole time i've had it. Could it be a headgasket?? I checked the oil and its not milky the antifreeze is fresh. I can't see any leaks but I have'nt done a exstensive search.

Could this be why the heater blows cold?

Any suggestions? help?

Will a compression test tell me if its the headgasket?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

A compression test will tell you that it is a headgasket. Check under the car after it is parked for a while for a pool of coolant. You need to determine if it is a leak or if you are burning it. It would be blowing white smoke if it were burning. If it is a leak, it could be the radiator, hoses, intake manifold, etc.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Samuels

Last night after filling it up with coolant I let it run for a 1hr and me and the guy I bought it from searched and searched but could'nt find a drop of leaking coolant. I put a big sheet under it last night and not a drop this morning. I drive it to work right afterwards this morning probably 25 minutes away and park it. I noticed coolant leaking from somewhere on the left side up near the radiater but its not visuable because the car is grounded. What is the pump on the left side up near the radiater?

After work I checked coolant levels in the radiater and it lossed alittle. The overflow went from full to low but still visable. I topped it off and drove home where it'll leak some when I stop. It seems to leak only when I park it after driving it.

C'mon techs help me out...

I'm gonna try to get my jack back from a friend today.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Samuels

Okay thier is a white fitting with a spring that looks to screw into the radiater and its leaking around it somwhere. Do I replace the whole radiater?