Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

race project

Old 12-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRfrank
or i could just find myself a t3/t4 and be done with it

how hard is it to FI a c1 engine if i plug in a EMS? i dont want a crappy EMS either, prolly gunna go with AEM... also, if i got an electronic boost controler, could i theoertically change profiles on the fly wiith the AEM EMS no problem? (it should control all the variables, like timing, boost, vtec engagement, fuel, etc.. correct?).. ok so heres where i am so far:

B18c1 in a hatch or CRX
t3/t4 turbo
built engine with engine block guard (i think this is the thing that connects to all of the mains stabilizing the block.. right?):
midrange compression pistons (with oem headgasket) so i can always change out the gasket to gain/loose a little compression. (prolly 9.5's-10's)
Pn'P on the head
mid-range cams (streetable, yet also raceable)
LS tranny
AEM EMS w/ EBC
If you are planning on boosting over 15psi regularly, I would go lower compression pistons like 8.5:1-9:1 because lowering the CR with a headgasket is the worst way to do it. The EMS should work fine but I would personally go with a Hondata chipped ECU. They are cheaper and I haven't heard much about the EMS except they cost out the ass. As for cams, I would go with Skunk2 Turbo cams or an equivalent cam with high lift and little to no overlap. You also need to beef up the fuel system with a fuel pump, FPR, and bigger injectors. An aftermarket ignition system like MSD should also be considered. What you want out of the turbo should affect your choice: minimal lag for streetability or all out power with moderate lag. The T3/T4 hybrid is a good choice for power and minimal lag. I wouldn't put a block guard on there, I would sleeve the engine instead. Block guards are inferior to sleeves in every aspect.

Just some food for thought. Either way you go, a racecar project will be pricey and everything will have to be considered.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:33 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i changed the title, this has morphed over time from a race car type project to more of a wekend warrior fast-a** streeter.. new title Project Fast Ass Hatch... go on.. try and say it.. i dare ya
Old 12-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

So I assume that you are trying to keep it streetable....
Old 12-05-2004, 10:58 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

prolly, now that i plan on going turbo, might as well, right? i mean i never wanted it to be a major racer anyway, i just wanted somthing that i caould haul to the track and get pretty good times with, but with turbo i should be able to keep that goal and still keep it streetable at the same time
Old 12-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

if you get an aem ems there's really no need for a boost controller cause the ems can handle that. a block girdle is what you're refering to by the piece that connects the main caps together. and if you get a b18c1 you wont need one of those either. they come with them stock.

and hondata would cost about as much as an aem after buying all the parts necessary to convert to obd1.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:39 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

u sure about the boost controler? becuase i think that it still has to dail the boost inmechanically somehow
Old 12-05-2004, 11:40 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

OFF TOPIC:
do i get an award or suttin.. i think this is the first post in this forum to go past 2 pages. lol
Old 12-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You can have a cookie....
Old 12-05-2004, 01:08 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

sweet...
Old 12-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by DRfrank
u sure about the boost controler? becuase i think that it still has to dail the boost inmechanically somehow
I've never screwed with an electronic boost controller, but I would think it would use a solenoid of some sort. When it sees X amount of boost, it switches the solenoid to provide vacuum to open the wastegate. No real mechanicals involved.