Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

I need d16z6 info of swap into 89 crx hf

Old 01-19-2004, 12:24 AM
schmoe5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need d16z6 info of swap into 89 crx hf

I would like to do a 92-95 sohc vtec swap into a 89 CRX HF. I would like to use its vtec. I need to know if I can use the stock hf axles or if i can upgrade. I need to know if I can use a 92-95 transmission because I was gonna get one. If not what should I use. I need to know about wiring info also. Can anyone help? I appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

If your car is a 4 speed, you need to change the axles and hubs to those from a 5 speed car. If yours is a 5 speed, you can reuse everything from your car now (not absolutely positive on that, but I'm pretty sure, never did one myself). It would be money well spent to get an CRX/Civic Si tranny as the gear ratios will be worth it. The D16Z6 tranny is useless to you. It's clutch is activated with a hydrolock system (like your brakes) while the older EF civic's use a cable system. You may be able to convert your car to hydro clutch, but I've never heard of one working 100% afterwards.

Other issues your going to run into is your fuel system. An HF is a dual point setup (2 injectors by the throttle body) while a D16Z6 is a multiport setup (1 injector per cylinder). You will have to convert your wiring harness over to MPFI (multi port fuel injection) to work. You will also need an proper ECU. Your best solution is to re-use the D16Z6's P28 ECU but it won't plug into your stock wiring harness. Some companies make and adaptor harness that will connect the two and leave the wires marked that need to be added. I've seen the adaptors before and I've heard they work well, but I don't know who makes them (HASport probably). You can also use your HF or better an Si EF ECU but you won't have any VTEC maps. You could create your own with a V-AFC, but you'll save yourself a lot of work with a P28.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:28 AM
BlueCrxNC

Originally posted by Andy
[B]Other issues your going to run into is your fuel system. An HF is a dual point setup (2 injectors by the throttle body) while a D16Z6 is a multiport setup (1 injector per cylinder). You will have to convert your wiring harness over to MPFI (multi port fuel injection) to work.
ERRR... NO!... The HF is MPFI, you are thinking of the DX.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Originally posted by BlueCrxNC
ERRR... NO!... The HF is MPFI, you are thinking of the DX.
I though only the Si's were MPFI? Like I said above, I've never done a swap in an EF yet so I can't speak from first hand experience. 1 less headache you have to deal with I guess.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:12 AM
BlueCrxNC

Yeah, the HF and Si both came with MPFI THANK GOD!! I'm glad that I didn't land a DX... what a hassle.