Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

Prelude vs. GSR

Old 08-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Can't Decide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prelude vs. GSR

I am new to the forum and have some questions hopefully someone can answer. I am going to be buying a new car very soon, but can't decide between a '97-'99 GSR and '97-'99 Prelude. From what I have read these two cars are pretty even performance wise. The Prelude weighs more, but has more HP and Torque. The thing that I don't understand is I have read 0-60 times for the Prelude from 7.2-7.7, Motor Trend had 7.2, but Road and Track had 7.7 and for the GSR 7.1-7.2. Does anyone have an accurate time for a stock 5spd Prelude and GSR. I would prefer the Prelude because I own a 3rd Gen now and love it, plus I don't see very many around where I live, but if the GSR is faster I would rather go with that. If the Prelude 0-60 time is 7.7 and the GSR 7.1 how can they have pretty equal 1/4 mile times (from what I have read) shouldn't the GSR have a better time? Please help me decide what I should buy. Thanks for any Help!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:11 AM
VTEC02VLAD
03 RSX type-S

The Integra is 7.1 and the Prelude is 7.2. The automatic prelude is ridiculously slow ( i can beat it with my stock 02' EX civic but the 5spd is rad). Both cars are really nice. I'd say... if they are the same price/year/mileage, go with the prelude. It has better resale value and more room in the back & front seats are more comfortable. I have friends with both cars and they're both great cars and about even w/ speed. .1 seconds 0 - 60 wont make a difference because people dont have perfect shifts every time. Go with the prelude if they are the same price/year/mileage, otherwise go with whichever is newer/cheaper/lower mileage
Old 08-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Can't Decide

Thanks for the info, maybe the 7.7 time was Automatic.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:44 AM
VTEC02VLAD
03 RSX type-S

It could be... that would mean im running less than 7.7... just wishful thinking (unlikely for my car)
Old 08-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Can't Decide

I would say you are running somewhere in the Low 8's, so it is possible that 7.7 is auto and you raced a really crappy driver...
Old 08-09-2004, 12:41 PM
VTEC02VLAD
03 RSX type-S

yea he was racing with triptronic (which is actually slower than regular automatic) and didnt even drop to first after raising the RPM's, he just put it in first and went. I dropped the clutch at about 2500RPM's and just smoked him... by the time i was going 60 i had like 4 car lengths on him. I'm guessing the same thing happened with the other prelude i raced... he had about 15 grand worth of mods in there (supposedly the nicest car in the school) and he lost to a stock civic. I guess that 15K was well spent but its allright he sucks, his car sucks, and he sucks at life in general.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Can't Decide

So what are you saying, I should get a Civic...? J/K I thought about it, but it seems like everyone has a Civic these days (not that that's bad, they are very good cars) I just want something that not a lot of people have, that is one reason I would rather get the Prelude than the GSR. Tiptronic sucks I would never get that, especially in a Prelude, I have been looking at classifieds around here for Preludes and almost all of the ones for sale are Tiptronic. Which makes me wonder, Why get a sports car if your gonna get automatic, seems kind of pointless to me.