Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

Battery relocation to trunk??

Old 08-03-2004, 01:15 PM
k.a.y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery relocation to trunk??

To clean up the clutter in my bay a bit, I was thinking about relocating my battery to the trunk, but then I head that this is not allowed in drags. Is this true?? if so, why isn't it allowed??
Old 08-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Diablo

Originally Posted by k.a.y
To clean up the clutter in my bay a bit, I was thinking about relocating my battery to the trunk, but then I head that this is not allowed in drags. Is this true?? if so, why isn't it allowed??

its allowed you just have to get a kill switch on te back off your car. IMO i would a hawker dry cell battery. weighs almost nothing. it will still be in your engine bay but its skinny as hell and wouldnt take up as much room.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:27 PM
k.a.y

The Battery I would be relocating is an Optima Yellow top. I talked w/ someone today that said since it's a dry cell batt, it is not required that it be fully enclosed w/ a vent tube, because there are no fumes emmiting from it. you guys know anything about this?
Old 08-03-2004, 08:35 PM
preludedriver99

It wont have to be in a box or have a vent tube but will need to be bolted down on a tray or placed in a box. I've relocated my battery to my trunk in my 99 sh and like it a lot. Are you running a system or something that you need a heavy ass battery? NRG makes a 11 lb dry cell also, that's what I've got. Optima batteries ar heavier than crap but good batteries!!!! I got my setup with box and all acessories for less than 60 bucks!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:46 PM
k.a.y

yeah, i bought the optima like 2 years ago, and it's a damn good battery, i just want to relocate it for better weight distribution, and to clean up the bay a little bit. Rather than buying a kit, I think i'm just gonna modify my factory batt. tray, use those j bars, and run Stinger 0 gauge wiring, and stinger dist. blocks, including making my own hyper ground kit. i'd like to switch to a smaller yellow top, rather than my full size, though.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Diablo

question for ya, what kinda car is it? RWD or FWD? cuase if your relocating it for racing reason then if its FWD it wont do anything but hurt your times. if its purely for look then go for it. the RWD cars need it cause if tranfers weight on to the rear wheels and help with traction. in a fwd car you would want the wieght on the front wheels. its a lil more indepth than that but that is the short anwser
Old 08-04-2004, 04:57 PM
k.a.y

The car is a FWD 93 Prelude. I'm relocating it for both race & show purposes. I race both autocross & drag, and it will help distribute the weight much better for autocross, plus the H series motors are so heavy that it really shouldn't make that big of a difference for drag purposes.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:19 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to move mine too. Looking at getting an Optima. I'm moving mine so I have more room up there. I could really use that space for a couple of catch cans.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:08 AM
k.a.y

Yeah, i'm gonna use it to relocate my ZEX management unit so it's not smashed between the firewall & fuel lines like it is now. also to mount my HID converters when I get them. and to clean out a bunch of rust that looked to be forming last time I was on my creeper. I'm buying 2 lengths of 0 gague Stinger wire today, gonna modify teh factory batt. tray to mount in the trunk, and use the 16 feet of 4 gague tha's going to my basslink right now to make a ground kit for the engine bay (reason i'm running a negative 0 gague to the engine bay). I'll have it all done by the end of this weekend, as well as putting in my new clutch & flywheel Gonna be a busy weekend!!
Old 08-07-2004, 11:36 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k.a.y
Yeah, i'm gonna use it to relocate my ZEX management unit so it's not smashed between the firewall & fuel lines like it is now. also to mount my HID converters when I get them. and to clean out a bunch of rust that looked to be forming last time I was on my creeper. I'm buying 2 lengths of 0 gague Stinger wire today, gonna modify teh factory batt. tray to mount in the trunk, and use the 16 feet of 4 gague tha's going to my basslink right now to make a ground kit for the engine bay (reason i'm running a negative 0 gague to the engine bay). I'll have it all done by the end of this weekend, as well as putting in my new clutch & flywheel Gonna be a busy weekend!!
Lemme know how it turns out man. Post some pics up or something.