Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

power window lube

Old 09-14-2003, 06:09 PM
skylane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window lube

What's a good product to lubricate power windows? My Accord windows are gettin' real slow.

Also, should you spray the seals around the edge of the window or try to get the moving parts down inside the door (or both?)
Old 09-17-2003, 06:45 PM
karlt10

Spraying the edge of the window won't do much for down inside. however, an EXCLLENT treatment for window trim and weather-stripping is spray silicone. You can pick it up at the parts store for a few bucks. It'll have a spray tube and you simply want to spray it around the perimeter of the window, and then on the door & hatch weather-stripping. It will lubricate the rubber and do two things- in Winter it will keep your windows from icing shut, and in Summer it will keep the trim lubed and sealed tight. Just spray a bit onto a rag and wipe it on.

As for lubing the window mechanism, make sure you use a form of LIGHTWEIGHT and SYNTHETIC grease. Your best bet is to ask your local dealer what they use. You want lightweight to prevent drag on the motors, and you want synthetic to prevent freezing and thinning due to water & weather.

kt
Old 09-21-2003, 06:23 AM
agileauto.com

I agree. silicone spray is thumbs up.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:32 AM
gutterslide

one more vote for silicone spray.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:48 AM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

silicone spray works for a little while, go to a honda or acura dealership and ask for something called "shun-itsu" it's grease that honda uses of the window run channels at the factory, it will fix it for a couple of years.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Slick EX
OEM to the max!

Hmm I might have to try that Shun ITSU, thanks hondatech. I also use silicone. You might have to do it once a few months, but it beats your windows falling out of the tracks. Warning though, smells funky for a few days lol.