Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY: Transmission Rebuild (89pics!)

Old 08-08-2013, 06:47 PM
334cobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question, what is the gap clearance for all gears on the counter shaft? And on the main shaft, is 4th and 5th gear supposed to be a pretty big gap in comparison to all the other gaps? Thanx.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:16 PM
334cobra

Anyone, please? I need feeler gauge gaps for ALL gears, please. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 PM
334cobra

and also, were there 3 little metal balls that fell out when u took your housing off? Please anyone?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM
334cobra

Hello?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 PM
fathergoat
:3

Sorry for the slow reply, I was on vacation. The gear spacing could vary by what type of transmission you have. download a manual from http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/ and check out the specs for your exact transmission.

So the three balls were just knocking around in the housing? They could be loose ones from a bad bearing. The only other balls I can think of are related to the shift arm.(pics 3+4 in post 2)
Old 08-17-2013, 01:02 PM
334cobra

Yes! I found out they were for the shift arms. I looked everywhere in your great write up, but I didn't see the step where I guess you're supposed to unscrew the bolts on the housing that have that "ball, spring, screw" thing goin on. There are 3 of them that you put the ball first, then spring, and then screw. I didn't know I was supposed to take those off first, lol. But I figured it out, and thanx for responding. I'm completely knew to these forums and I'm trying to figure out how to post a new problem of mine...I'm looking for the transmission/engine STIFFENER that bolts from the transmission to the engine block. Here's my problem...I have d16y8 everything....except for the oil pan which is significantly (in my opinion) different. I mean...the y7 and y8 oil pans are exactly the same and are interchangeable...but there are minor differences...y8 pan is aluminium, and y7 is steel. Ok, no biggie for me. The ONLY other difference which I have yet to find on ANY forum out there is that the y8 pans have threaded holes on the bottom of it near the transmission side where the engine/tranny stiffeners bolt up. The y7 pan DOES NOT have those threaded holes...It merely bolts up to the block and that's it. It serves no other purpose but to be an oil pan. The y8 oil pans serve as an oil pan, AND the connection to the stiffeners. So...I'm looking for a y7 MANUAL tranny stiffeners to go on my y8 tranny to y8 block in order to bypass the y7 oil pan (which [one more time] does not have those threaded holes where the y8 stiffeners would otherwise bolt up to). Thanks for your time. Please rsvp. Btw, hope your vacation went well!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:09 PM
334cobra

One more thing...would a y7 AUTO tranny to block stiffener work as well, considering y7 and y8 blocks ARE the same bolt-up wise, and so are the y7 and y8 manual trannys bolt-up wise as well.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:46 PM
fathergoat

I'm glad this write up has been a help. I think the y7 manual stiffener would work, I really have no idea if the y7 auto stiffeners would work or not. But I've never messed with different combinations like that so I can't be sure. I think your best bet is to just get a y8 oil pan. there is a used one on ebay right now for $65. Unless you can get the y7 stiffeners for really cheap or free it probably wouldn't be worth finding out.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:08 PM
334cobra

Ahhh, ok. Well is the y7 manual trans stiffener different from the auto stiffener? That's the magic answer I've been searching for as of today, lol. I downloaded that file you gave me the link to, and it was helpful. There's just one part in it that doesn't specify y7 m/t, or a/t. It specifies y5, and y8 m/t and a/t for the stiffeners, but not the y7 stiffeners! lol. So it makes me wonder if y7 stiffeners are used on both a/t and m/t! Could this be true?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 PM
fathergoat

well I cross referenced between the stiffener for an auto and a manual, they are different part numbers so they are a different part. at this point I don't think the stiffener for an auto would work for a manual.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...GINE+STIFFENER
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...GINE+STIFFENER

Quick Reply: DIY: Transmission Rebuild (89pics!)