Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Help with Polishing engine parts

Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Polishing engine parts

So... after doing a search on engine bay polishing, I just had to give it a shot.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ghlight=polish

Starting with my alternator bracket, I used my Craftsman rotary tool with the supplied Medium grit paper on it. Cleaned the sucker REALLY good. Got the feel of how much pressure to use and how long to let the paper stay in one spot. I then used some 600 grit and sanded it under running water for about 10 min. I had some steel wool, but I think it wasn't fine enough, so I go scratches. Do I really need to go to finner paper and continue to wetsand?

How do I get rid of the small pits? Keep sanding with 600 on those spots then work my way down? Any help would be cool. I can't find a video on the best ways to do it on the internet. I would love to SEE someone use a dremel tool to polish. A hands on would be cool. The pad gets so black, I'm not sure exactly how to do it. Anyone down to do a step-by-step for us all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pits.JPG (156.8 KB, 192 views)
scratches.JPG (181.9 KB, 175 views)
00953084000-mv.jpg (1.1 KB, 464 views)
Old 07-24-2007, 06:28 PM
88_rex_si

that looks really good, you should be able to keep sanding around the pits to blend everything in a bit .when you are all done with the sanding and blending the pits , get the cloth wheel and polishing compound for the dremel tool and that bracket will be reeaallyy shiny , good luck
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I've never been much good at polishing things, god knows I've tried. But, I'd image a bench grinder with the appropriate attachments would make short work of things like that. I'd save the dremel for detail work.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Holy thread revival

Funny thing is that I DID in-fact buy a bench grinder/buffer. I live in an apt. and there's no real way to run one without making a mess. Since then I've polished a valve cover, but to tell you the truth, unless you're gonna show the car, polishing shit isn't worth the upkeep.

As for using the dremel, I was doing this to pass the time. My gf and I were going through some rough times back then, and I needed something positive to do. Thought I'd make some dull things shinny :hs:

Old 07-25-2007, 04:53 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I didn't even read the date:sad:
Old 08-02-2007, 06:40 PM
k_elliot

Default thanks

hey cool, i'll have something to do over the weekend.