Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY 6th gen Civic brake pad and rotor change

Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM
SpidermanESI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are few pics:
the tools list

list: WD40, brakes washing liquid, candles, impact screw driver, a liquid to prevent bolts to unscrew, C clamp, wrench with 12mm and 17mm socket. Also need a hammer.

My Mum's Civic put on candles:

wheel put off, used disc and used pads:

piston module unbolt (was high time to replace pads ):

Push back the piston: regarding the question of adding a piece of wood, as you increase the contact surface area, you decrease the pression on the piston.

Spraying WD40

Making the securing screws vibrating with a screwdriver and a hammer:

Putting the impact screwdriver on the "unscrewing" position or "L":

Hammering with the impact screwdriver

Degreasing new disc:

a little bit of sand paper:
:

new disc in position:

Then you put everything back exactly as chimchim explained
Don't overtight the 12mm head screw; I broke it.

Fortunately, I could find one that I took on a broken Prelude (just as the one below) in a scrap yard:

I made a quick road test, braking is OK, nothing abnormal and and no squeeling.

Since I did the engine oil change, I also noticed the Civic is quieter.

Last edited by SpidermanESI; 04-28-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:57 PM
OblivionLord

What was it doing before that you needed to resurface the rotor? In the before pic it didnt look bad at all unless there were deep marks in there.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:49 AM
SpidermanESI

well, in fact, I used a 240 sandpaper; I've read that it might be useful to "resurface" a little bit a new disc, to have a better grip I guess?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:01 PM
felchi80

First, I'd like to thank you all for the great write up. It was very helpful.
I just changed my front rotors on an acura 1.6 EL '97, basically like a Civic EX.
I have a question though, I bought el cheapo rotors from "canadian tire" for $17CAD each (they were on special, reg. $32CAD).
After replacement they seem fine. I did not change the pads, they seem to be fine, not really used. I test drove it and tried to brake like moderately hard and after it stops, I can see quite a lot of smoke coming out of the rotors/brakes.... Is this normal just for new rotors? or these are just too cheap and will smoke all the time?
I just thought i'd put these in the meantime until I get around brembos. My old rotors were pretty bad, whenever the brakes were applied, you could feel up on down motion on the pedal, not sure what the exact problem was, but now it's smooth.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:50 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Originally Posted by felchi80
First, I'd like to thank you all for the great write up. It was very helpful.
I just changed my front rotors on an acura 1.6 EL '97, basically like a Civic EX.
I have a question though, I bought el cheapo rotors from "canadian tire" for $17CAD each (they were on special, reg. $32CAD).
After replacement they seem fine. I did not change the pads, they seem to be fine, not really used. I test drove it and tried to brake like moderately hard and after it stops, I can see quite a lot of smoke coming out of the rotors/brakes.... Is this normal just for new rotors? or these are just too cheap and will smoke all the time?
I just thought i'd put these in the meantime until I get around brembos. My old rotors were pretty bad, whenever the brakes were applied, you could feel up on down motion on the pedal, not sure what the exact problem was, but now it's smooth.
The smoke is from a coating they put on the iron rotors so that it doesn't rust. If you didn't scrub this stuff off prior to mounting the rotor, then your braking will burn the stuff off instead... in the form of smoke. It's normal, but it's better to scrub the stuff off before hand. It's not dangerous not too, just better performance wise if you do.

I believe that "quality" of the rotor has nothing to do with "how well it stops". It's more about resistance to failur (ie cracking).

Last edited by chimchim; 09-10-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 AM
felchi80

oh ok.
thanks!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:37 PM
numbaoned

This tutorial is the best one that I have found yet!!! I thought I was doing something wrong when I could't get those dang on 17mm off so I could detach the rotor. Pics were on point and instructions were very clear.. I really appriciate the help... So now that I know I am actually working on the right area to get to this rotor... I just need somebody to help me get these dang 17mm's loosened up so I can get this caliper bracket off. -- Anyway.. thanks for all the info and pics!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:36 AM
HighLife

wow, and i almost had my rotors turned cause my wheel just slightly shakes on braking. I might just pick up some blanks and do it myself.

Thanks, great DIY thread.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:02 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Originally Posted by HighLife
wow, and i almost had my rotors turned cause my wheel just slightly shakes on braking. I might just pick up some blanks and do it myself.

Thanks, great DIY thread.
You probably should still get them turned instead of buying new rotors. I bought new ones but looking back, I probably should have just turned them.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:35 PM
HighLife

Originally Posted by chimchim
You probably should still get them turned instead of buying new rotors. I bought new ones but looking back, I probably should have just turned them.

i thought of that, but places around here want 75$ to do them...dam if i can buy new ones for that price. What do you normally pay for a rotor resurface?