Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Old 05-13-2007, 03:06 AM
Detailed Image
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ON-SITE
Hi,
I was asked at one of my accounts (auto dealership) what I would charge to detail and dress all the pre-owned vehicles wheels. See after the the guys go around with the pressure washers for the cars, nothing is done with the wheels.
What would be the best way to do this? And can you recommend what to charge? It would have to be waterless do to the fact the cars have already been washed.

I appreciate any and all help.
Marc
<><
Marc - Sorry for the over delayed reply. That's tough w/o using water, I'd find a wheel cleaner you are comfortable with that you could work on the wheels with a microfiber towel and buff dry w/o rinsing. The problem is going to be that you would potentially scratch the finish of the wheels by wiping directly over the stubborn contamination.

As far as what you'd charge, that's up to you and what you value your time at. I try to make between $60 - $100 / hour when I book a job.

Originally Posted by dranom
HI! i have a couple of questions for you

1. what are the best polishers out there? ive looked at PC 7424 and a makita 9227c are these any good?

2. if ever im gonna buy a polisher what other stuff do i need? ive read i need backing pad? 5" or 6" what is its purpose?

3. i wanna clean my interior what products do you recommend in cleaning esp the carpet and seats?
The two you are looking at are often regarded as the standard random orbital and rotary buffer on the market. Here's a thread on Detail University where enthusiasts and professionals voted on which buffers they prefer.

The purpose of the backing plate is so that you can attach higher quality pads to your unit. The proprietary pad that come with the Porter Cable are garbage, I recommend throwing it in the trash. Stick with either Lake Country or Edge Pads and you'll be pleased with your results.

For carpets and seats, I use 303 Fabric / Vinyl Cleaner, which can be diluted down to about a 6:1 ratio with great results on the interior. If you are looking for an over the counter solution, try to get your hands on some FOLEX.

Originally Posted by jdmeg6hatchy
I was wondering what you would recomend using to get the sounds deadening material out of the back of a car?? id like to get it all out and have it painted.
Not sure on this one, I'd contact a car audio installer.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:47 PM
gingas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

98 GSR,91 Civic Si & 05 TL. Had a question on whats a decent liquid wax I can purchase from Pepboys etc? That applies pretty easy & easy to remove. My GSR been down since Dec but, it's garaged kept & had a car cover on it. This the first time waxing since Dec. I have this Mothers liquid wax I decided to try which was a pain to take off. Also, for tires Pepboys etc. I like the wet look that most dealerships get ready dept uses. So, whats close to that.

Thanks For Your Tme