Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

Feel like clay bar is needed after every wash?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Shogo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feel like clay bar is needed after every wash?

I know that the clay bar should only be used every few months, but after every wash I will run my hand up and down the hood and I can feel all of the grime and grit that washing missed. Do I need to do a better job washing? I use the two-bucket method and use a microfiber sponge. Anyone else feel this way? It rains a LOT here (sometimes multiples days per week, its rained 4 times the last 4 days) and there is always a ton of pollen/dust in the air. It can rain an inch in the morning and then 10 minutes later it will be very sunny out and will hit 95 degrees and all of the water marks will be baked on. The weather here is really hard on my car. How often is the clay bar needed?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Smurf
Dancing Banana Driver

I used to clay bar my car once a month. I thought it worked great.....
Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 PM
DakarM

how old is your paint and how is the weather where you are? most grime should be washed off with regular washing. what's left over is contaminants embedded in the paint. this is what the clay bar will remove. where I live i don't need to clay more than 2 times a year. this is with regular weekly washing. if you don't wash your car for months at a time you may need more frequent use of the clay.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Spec R

it sounds like where u live you may need it more often.

like dakarm said, it also depends on the condition of the paint. old/oxidizing paint just absorbs contamninats like a magnet
Old 06-25-2009, 10:56 PM
DakarM

i forgot to mention that I do a proper detailing every 3months or so and do a full sealing and cleaning of the paint. this goes a long ways from protecting the paint from contaminants getting embedded in the paint.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Shogo

Live in MN. Like I said, rain at least once per week, sometimes it will rain every day of the week. Very hot and humid. Paint is the original on an 01 civic.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:58 PM
nikku
Detailing Nerd

hey Shogo,

You should not have to clay your vehicle that often. Twice a year should be sufficient inclusive of one step polishing twice a year as well.

If you feel that there is grime left on your vehicle try using a foam gun so the soap dwells on the paintwork a little longer to lift the surface grime that is not imbedded in the paintwork. Be sure to be in the shade when letting the foam dwell on your paint. Then rinse the vehicle and then hit the vehicle with your two bucket method.

Just one more tip polishing and sealing/waxing is a huge key in keeping your paintwork smooth.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick