Notices

vaccum problem?

Old 08-07-2003, 06:47 PM
pony2slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vaccum problem?

first let me say im new here... just got my 90crx w/zc
caught the car really cheap cause it had few problems...
anyways one of the most annoying problems i have is that the idle is all freaked up...

i mean when i first start it the idle jumps up to 2k and then settles back to around 1k-1.2k.. but at any given time the motor starts to go crazy.. idle bounces from 500 to 1500... never less than 500rpm and never more than 1500rpm.. but once it starts it doesnt stop until i turn the car off and let it sit for a bit...

the guy that sold it to me said that he thought it might be the fuel pump going bad?.. that sound right?

I personally feel its got a vaccum leak somewhere or i got a bad sensor somewhere....

I have checked the oil and coolent levels and both are fine and neither one is contaminated with each other..

I am new to honda's and have always wanted a crx so i dont really know much about the car. I have the book but what the book doesnt have is the vaccum diagram of the DOHC motor..

I dont know where to start here.. any suggestions...

Thank You.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:16 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The bouncing idle problem was fixed in my car by tightening a screw-in part inside the IACV, but I am not sure if the EACV on the ZC works the same way.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:23 AM
pony2slow

Originally posted by Kai
The bouncing idle problem was fixed in my car by tightening a screw-in part inside the IACV, but I am not sure if the EACV on the ZC works the same way.
I found this on another forum
this will fix your problem!!!! if it's a si..

on the intake plentem... behind the tb spacer is your coolant controled fast idle contoler. take off the 2 screws to remove the round cap. down in there is a plug with a large slot in it. this threads down into this cavity. just get a prybar or large ft blade screw driver and tighten this plug. if not you can remove it and change the o ring...
i dont understand what im looking for here. I do know the intake manifold on my ZC is the orignal Si one so maybe that applies to me... what am i looking for. I looked under the hood of my car and cant seem to locate what the above quote means.

agian I appricate all the help..

and thanks for the pic.. this will help me loads..
Old 08-08-2003, 06:39 AM
91_Hulk_Si
M0der@t0r Assassin

I just did my engine overhaul and it was the god damn PCV valve that was causing the exact damn thing. I have always worked on american big blocks so I didn't reconize this tinny L connector as a PCV Valve.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:17 AM
pony2slow

so should i start with replacing the pcv valves?..

where can i find them locally for my ZC?....

and also how hard are they to replace and what should i do not do when i replace them?..

I know i am asking alot of questions but i really love my crx and wanna get her back to running the way she is meant to run. smooth and fast as hell..
Old 08-09-2003, 07:26 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

89 Integra PCV is same as a DOHC ZC one. If you can pull off hoses you an replace it.

As for the O rings on the EACV you have to take off the 2 bolts holding on the EACV to replace them. They are like figure 8 looking almost.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by pony2slow
i dont understand what im looking for here. I do know the intake manifold on my ZC is the orignal Si one so maybe that applies to me...
Those instructions you posted are for 85-87 CRX Si and 86-87 Civic Si engines, the same instructions I used. It works wonders, if you have one of those cars.

Now that I'm looking at it, your EACV is very different, an you can't really use that method. The part they tell you to tighten doesn't really exist in your model.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:43 PM
pony2slow

I just replaced the pcv valve and it didnt help.. but i do know the old one i took out wasnt helping any.. was cracked..

but it still did the funny idle..
so then i unplugged the eacv(the thing behind the intake manifold, cylinder shaped???????) and low and behold the idle stopped bouncing and then i relized the idle was set to 1200rpm.. hmmm.. lowered the idle aand then sat and waited.. never did the idle bouncing problem start agian. .but as soon as i plugged that thing back in (took awhile) but it did start bouncing agian.. until i unplugged it agian.. What exactly is that thing the EACV? and is it bad and if i have to replace it how much am i looking at.. no more than 150 hopefully..
Old 08-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

You can replace the EACV for under $150 if you buy used.

The EACV (Electronic Air Contol Valve) is an important part. Don't drive with it disconnected, it may stall or do other funny things that you won't like. It is the main idle controling valve in the car, and adjusts itself depending on engine load and whatnot.

The car will also probably throw a code 14 when it is disconnected.