Notices

91 civic si ?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 PM
gingas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 civic si ?

I just had a starter installed. Drove fine after install. Got home cut car off then started back up but won't fire up. Is that a sign of a bad ignition?
I have a 1gen B16. The starter was ordered for a 91 Teg.

Any suggestions welcomed,
Thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
ChrisS

-Is the starter turning the engine over?
-How was the engine running before it failed to fire up?
-Do you get spark when cranking the engine?

It could be a few things (depending on your answers above)
-spark(yes) and cranking(yes) >> probably, main relay (under the dash, right next to driver's side door)
-spark(no) and cranking(yes) >> probably, ignitor or coil (in the distributor)
-spark (???, engine running badly before) and cranking(yes) >> probably, ignitor or coil

It never hurts to check all the grounds: transmission, valve cover, thermostat, car body, negative battery terminal.
_and_ check wiring connections for corrosion, water, dirt, etc.

Take Care,
ChrisS
Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 AM
gingas

Yeah ChrisS, car was running fine b4 starter was installed. Only issue I did have was the car turning over.
I changed the main relay few months ago.
Just still have to figure out y car still bogging evry now then.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 PM
ChrisS

It might be just a coincidence that bogging started after you replaced the starter. (old cars always have little problems popping up every once in a while)

what does the tach do when it bogs?
(my tach was doing some very strange things when my coil or ignitor went out; I replaced the entire distributor. I would have cost close to the same to replace: coil, ignitor, cap, etc.)

how often does it bog?
(bogging when running low on fuel could be bad gas or water in the fuel tank, or even a bad fuel cap causing too much vacuum in the fuel tank)

other causes of bog:
-bad sensor data (bad grounds can cause this; bad wire connections too; or sensor dying)
-check the wire splices that convert your engine harness to ODB1
-ECUs can die (but, rarely.)
Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 AM
yhnuhbzxc

you get spark when cranking the engine
Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 AM
gkjhnrtund

transmission, valve cover, thermostat, car body,
Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

I have this problem that keep showing up at random intervals. Is you're car at least turning over? I have swapped in a D16Y7(which is running great when you do the right things), but even before the swap my car would occationally not want to turn over. I've replaced the main relay not long ago, I have a new starter, but every once in a while when I turn the key nothing happens. If I hold the key to START for a few seconds sometimes it finally cranks over. I've also tried tapping on the starter(in the past on the old motor) and could get it to work. Otherwise I'd have to push-start the damn car. All my electrical connections seem to be good, but I haven't looked at the ignition relay so far, maybe that's it. Kinda perplexing.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 AM
gingas

Yeah. my car was running fine. Just that it was hard to start. After I replaced the starter it was so so. But once I replaced the main relay car would start rifgt up. I've had car looked at several times. I even left it with this shop couple days to get checked out. The car wouldn't bog. They said my fuel pump sice fine. I was getting spark. Now when I'm just cruising etc my tach would just start dropping to 0 as if I ran out of gas then you feel a hard kick like being hit from behind. It'll pick up speed slow down hard kick etc... When it get a chance to idle it'll be a lil rough then tach would rise a little above 1. After that happen and if light change green it'll drive regular again. That's the best I can describe it. Just weird any a pain in rear. It '' bog whenever. Few days could go by b4 this happens again.
I told my cousin about this. He said could be my fuel pressure regulator. Could it?

Sorry so long. NE input I'll appreciate
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 AM
ChrisS

There's a 2-wire connector on the side of the distributor. (it's used to de-energize the coil when doing a compression check) Check it for a bad connection. If it's clean, there's a good chance your coil or ignitor is going out. (my tach did the same thing: drop to zero, bounce back up to normal, intermittently at first; then it got worse mega bog at any speed)

Take Care,
ChrisS
Old 02-05-2012, 07:26 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

You could also try replacing the starter relay. It's right where the hood release is; a 4-wire relay just below the main relay. I just got one and will let you know if my problem completely goes away.