Notices

EGR, is it even hooked up??

Old 06-25-2003, 12:37 PM
jung4g
Asianalize your car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR, is it even hooked up??

OK, I know most cars have some sort of Exhaust Gas Recirculation setup to cut down on emissions... I first noticed our system when I was cleaning out my z6 head a couple weeks ago... I poured in some degreasing stuff and it rolled out the other side! I was like, oh crap, I got a messed up head..

but no, that's the line through the head for the EGR...

OK, we all know that now, so I did my MPFI swap yesterday, and noticed that the hole for the EGR in the head is simply blocked by the intake manifold, it doesn't go anywhere... is that only for California???

I'm confused, any insite would be appreciated...

Jung
Old 06-25-2003, 01:49 PM
crxb16er

umm i dont know but if the vacume line for mine is taken off i get a check engine light generated by the ecu. so im sure mine works, its recirculates a small portion of the exhaust gas just like its name suggests.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:30 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by jung4g
I was cleaning out my z6 head a couple weeks ago... I poured in some degreasing stuff and it rolled out the other side! I was like, oh crap, I got a messed up head..
but no, that's the line through the head for the EGR...
Huh? The D16Z6 came in the 92-95 Civic Si and EX, neither of which had an EGR. The only the VX had an EGR (in the 5th gen, that is), and that was a D16Z1.

Are you sure you mean Z6 head? If it is, I don't know what you're talking about.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:11 PM
jung4g
Asianalize your car

Yeah, I have a z6 head I'll be putting on for the Mini me...

The EGR setup on Hondas is a hole through the head on the #4 cylinder exhaust port... it comes out by the intake manifold to the distributor side. I first noticed it when I poured in solvent into the port and it poured out the other side... With the intake manifold its blocked...

Jung
Old 06-26-2003, 03:55 PM
matt j
midwest corn killer

only the automatics came with and egr valve for fourth gen and the vx was the only one to come with one in the 5th gen
Old 06-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by jung4g
Yeah, I have a z6 head I'll be putting on for the Mini me...

The EGR setup on Hondas is a hole through the head on the #4 cylinder exhaust port... it comes out by the intake manifold to the distributor side. I first noticed it when I poured in solvent into the port and it poured out the other side... With the intake manifold its blocked...
I'm aware of that, I'm saying the Z6 does not have an EGR. If that head has an EGR, it's not a Z6. You might want to check to see if it is a Z1 head, because they were SOHC VTEC-E and did have an EGR, and if someone sold you a Z1 head at a Z6 price... you were ripped off pretty bad.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:54 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

i will take a pic of my head tmrw, I got a D15Z1 VTEC-E if i look like mine then u kno what it is.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:40 PM
matt j
midwest corn killer

i wonder if all the heads came with a spot for an egr valve, but certain motors didnt come with them
Old 06-27-2003, 12:00 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by matt j
i wonder if all the heads came with a spot for an egr valve
Nope.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:13 AM
jung4g
Asianalize your car

OK, I'm confused, cuz my STD. civic head on my D15B1 has the hole in the exact same spot, and it's not hooked up to anything either. It was just a blocked hole with carbon deposits on the back of the head. I'll be slashing tires if that punk sold me a bunk head... (I'd tear off the body kits, but that's just lazy, zip ties are no fun to cut, lol)

Let me know...

Jung