Notices

Need Help 91 Civic Ex

Old 06-11-2003, 10:58 AM
ceresia_jaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help 91 Civic Ex

I'm thinking of buying a 91 Civic Ex Auto. It has 122,000 Miles on it. It can't go over forty because the transmission can't shift out of first. I was told that it needed a shift cylinoid and it would be okay. Should I buy the car and replace the cylinoid or should i wait and have the trans checked?

My friend also told me that civics are known for having bad engines and that it wouldn't last long if I did buy it. I don't believe him because I'm under the impression that these cars go for about 200,00 miles. Let me know what you think.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:58 PM
crxb16er

Default Re: Need Help 91 Civic Ex

Originally posted by ceresia_jaco
My friend also told me that civics are known for having bad engines and that it wouldn't last long if I did buy it.
1st of all slap ur friend upside the head :slap: . all honda engines are made to last, they have great internals and will run forever as long as properly maintained,

now on the car ur planning on getting id say definitely have the car checked b4 buying it, have them check the auto cable make sure that it isnt stopping u from going into other gears, possibly have them lower the price enough to compensate for a new or rebuilt tranny, 300-400 dollars for a new one, to make sure it'll last years to come. but honda engines are very well built ive had a total of 4 civic crx's 2 of which had over 180,000 miles on them, my current one has 160k but even if u need to replace the engine it isnt expensive, what price are u looking at?
Old 06-11-2003, 02:12 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Default Re: Need Help 91 Civic Ex

Originally posted by ceresia_jaco

My friend also told me that civics are known for having bad engines
Your friend is an idiot. I can't think of any other car more synonymous with reliable engines than Honda, or perhaps Toyota.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:14 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Default Re: Re: Need Help 91 Civic Ex

Originally posted by crxb16er
even if u need to replace the engine it isnt expensive, what price are u looking at?
Exactly. When the engine on my car blew I was able to replace the entire engine and transmission for just a little over half a grand.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:18 PM
crxb16er

yah i agree with fourthgenhatch all the way toyota and honda are the most reliable of all makes, and parts are readily available if u ever do need to find replacement parts.