Notices

Steering rack is busted, how hard is it to replace?

Old 05-09-2003, 08:51 AM
bigjdog84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack is busted, how hard is it to replace?

I did a search and pulled up nothing. My friends car was in an accident where his wheel got hit really hard, it broke the cv axle tie rod and now we find out the steering rack is busted. I replaced the cv axle and the tie rod, but the cars steering was still sticking. How would I go about replacing the rack?
TIA
Later/joe
Old 05-09-2003, 11:24 AM
AwwsChwA

The steering rack isn't hard to remove from the 88-91 chassis. You just remove the exhaust downpipe, disconnect the steering column U-joint, and remove the 4 bolts & clamping band that holds it in place. Remove it with the tie rods attached.

A note on the steering column U-joint: Pull back the driver side carpet, remove the plastic cover, and remove the lower U-joint securing bolt COMPLETELY. The steering pinion shaft is notched to fit that bolt, so if you just loosen it, it's not going to come out. Remove that lower U-joint bolt all the way and the rack should slide down off the steering column shaft.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:37 PM
aero3685

Just be careful and not as i did...stripped one of the bolts that are around the metal lines. In other words... I just had to bolt it back on, and now I have no PS.