Notices

what to do with my 86 hatch

Old 05-05-2003, 01:25 PM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do with my 86 hatch

This car is such a pain in my ass. its a 86 civic hatch 1.5L carbed 5-spd. Most of the time it doesnt idle, just dies, so i have to keep my foot on the gas and brake when i stop. i'd like to fix it myself, but i've been having the hardest time finding info on this.

when the car does idle, its not a steady idle (usually stays between 1000-1500rpm). I know where to adjust the float bowl level and idle, but that's about it. I think it may have something to do with the choke (since the car will NOT idle AT ALL when it hasnt been started for the day).

I'd like to either fix this one, or get a different engine (preferably fuel injected, since carbs are a pain in the ass). What engine swap would be the *easiest* and cheapest?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:01 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Admittedly I don't know a super huge amount about carbureted engines, but I do know that, unfortunately, swapping in anything other than another carbureted power plant is gonna be a total pain in the rear, cuz in order to have safe reliable running you have to swap out the fuel return line for one from a fuel injected car.

But, you can talk to 1stGenCRXer, he's not only a moderator here, but he's got a carbureted 85 DX that's a wolf in sheep's clothing. He runs a pair of Webers on an almost-completely-stock EW 1.5 block. If you're wanting to keep the car and stick with the carbs, he'd be a good one to talk to.