Notices

crx hesitates under accerleration--suggestions?

Old 05-01-2003, 04:17 AM
jenkinsisme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crx hesitates under accerleration--suggestions?

So I just picked up a crx hf with a dx engine. A friend of mine put in the engine and sold it to this ricer a few weeks ago. Car idles fairly good, but under acceleration it stumbles and hesitates. The car was riced out with apc stickers everywhere, had a generic intake filter taped on to the throttle body, and had a kid weld(at least that's what he called a weld) on a glasspack and a 4 inch tip, and put on some bosh plug wires. He says that until he riced it out it didn't hesitate. I know it IS sucking air in thru the cheap intake filter, seems to be getting fire from all the wires, but I could be wrong. The glasspack is leaking around all the welds. Is it possible that the idiot welded on the glasspack backwards or something? What suggestions do you have?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:34 AM
Bogatyr

jenkinsisme,
I'd certainly tighten up the air intake, you don't want any foreign particles in there.
I'd also check the condition of the plugs and cap/rotor. I've seen too many cars where people will do all sorts of "tricks", yet avoid the most basic maintenance for some reason. If there is any scoring on the cap or rotor metal contact points, replace them. Similarly, check the gap of the plugs...maybe just a clean and regap is in order.
Glasspack on backwards...heh, I suppose anything is possible.
Bogatyr
Old 05-01-2003, 08:32 AM
jenkinsisme

Turns out the plugs looked REALLY bad. I changed them with new ngk's and cleaned the contacts on the dist. cap and she's running good now! Thanks for the input!
Old 05-01-2003, 10:22 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i'd take that glasspack off as it probably affects exhaust flow...may cause problems down the line

i'd also put some fuel injector cleaner through the system with a full tank of gas...also replace the fuel filter as routine maintenance
Old 05-03-2003, 07:44 AM
crxb16er

yah playing with ur exhaust and installing crappy parts causes pressure problems and affects the vacume on ur engine without enough backpressure (non na doesnt apply)
Old 05-05-2003, 03:20 PM
all motor 91ef
USDM spec

and maybe you should replace the fuel filter also. every 10k miles