Notices

starter trouble?????

Old 04-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

resident car guy agrees with me and you saying either your flywheel is f-ed or your are pushing the starter pinion gear too tight against the flywheel causing it to bind.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:23 PM
crxb16er

yah thats what i figured but i dont know what is causing it too be too tight, thats why i'm wondering if the flywheel has damage or has moved around cuz it used to be really loose on the flywheel for some reason so i think the problem is just getting worse and now its damaging things, we'll see tomorrow when its ripped apart into little peices laid out in front of me. thanks for all ur help and input
Old 04-30-2003, 05:10 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

So your actual starter is falling apart? Just get a new one.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

i think two seperate starters have done the same thing, pat.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:19 AM
klowndwarf

the only other thing I can think of is too much resistance and its twisting itself out. You put em on real tight the second time didn't you? I'd try the jb weld myself but theres a slight chance you could make something worse.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:43 AM
Bogatyr

crxb16er,
Wow, I've never seen anything like this before. I wonder if you can supply 12v to the starter to see how the gear engages and retracts. My first thought is that there is a measurement wrong somewhere, ie the flywheel is too far out from the engine, or the starter gear isn't retracting enough. How about this...I have to assume there is a bit of wear on the flywheel and the starter gear from this problem...is is just on the tranny side of the teeth of the ring gear? or does it cover the whole tooth...you'll likely have to rotate the flywheel to see this...
Bogatyr
Old 05-03-2003, 07:33 AM
crxb16er

ok i figured out the problem, after pulling the engine and taking a good look at it, it all made sense, the bottom bolt isnt stripped but the threads on the transmission block are but not completely, just enough to make it a loose fit, after tightening it all down it sits perfectly, but once it's in there for a while the bottom bolt was backing up causing only the top to be held on and when there was too much pressure and the pinion gear started to be at a weird angle, bamm the whole thing would rip apart on the top and since the bottom bolt was still in but not tight it caused the bottom to rip off also and in the process make the internal threads even more worn, i jb welded the whole thing back together (i mean this thing CANNOT break i tried to break it and it wasnt happening) i redrilled and tapped the lower bolt hole slightly larger than it was before and stuck it all back in there this time using a lot of lock-tight on the lower bolt (which was new btw) been driving it for a day and a half and it seems perfect, i checked it this morning and both bolts were still in the same position as they were before, so it looks as though the problem is fixed, seems alot of you were right.

bolt wasnt stripped but internal threads were,
vibrations causing it to become loose (and it was about half an inch backed out when i looked at it)
thanks alot guys
Old 05-03-2003, 07:35 AM
crxb16er

flywheel was slightly in great shape, starter showed signs of slight wear even though it was new but still in great shape after it was all cold welded back together, no major damage to the transmission