Notices

Look what fell into my lap

Old 03-25-2003, 06:42 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look what fell into my lap

for $50 i got a td05h 14b turbo off a 1g eclipse including a new set of gaskets...it has 100k on it but looks in decent shape...i'm gonna rebuild it and install new bearings, etc.

this will be a fun future d16a6 project as i already have an hf manifold lying around from a previous swap

here's some pics

old hf header

wonder if these are bad things with it...
turbine housing cracks (they are small and don't look threatening...i haven't polished it yet to see the full extent)

Old 03-25-2003, 06:45 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

Default Re: Look what fell into my lap

Originally posted by jaje
for $50 i got a td05h 14b turbo off a 1g eclipse including a new set of gaskets...it has 100k on it but looks in decent shape...i'm gonna rebuild it and install new bearings, etc.

this will be a fun future d16a6 project as i already have an hf manifold lying around from a previous swap

here's some pics

old hf header

wonder if these are bad things with it...
turbine housing cracks (they are small and don't look threatening...i haven't polished it yet to see the full extent)

the cracks are on most turbos....they will make it whistle louder, but if they are bad enough, then they will make it work incorrectly......i've run a few t3's with cracks that bad (none all the way through) and nothing came of it at 20psi+....just check them out real good....peace
Old 03-26-2003, 12:20 PM
crxb16er

good lucky buddy looks kinda old and crusty but hopefully with some work and not too much $$$ you can make something nice out of it, and if for the 50$ u can do it you'll save alot over buying a new one for 2k, but like i said good luck to you
Old 03-26-2003, 03:17 PM
POONTANG
back like scoliosis

good find
Old 03-26-2003, 04:16 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

it's in good shape...minimal shaft play...but for $100 i'm gonna get the rebuild kit and port the turbo

it even came with new gaskets and a 3 month old o2 sensor!

it was just the small cracks that worried me...but after posting on some dsm sites those are quite common and do little to reduce its lifetime (almost all of them crack like that after a while...this one has 100k miles on it)
Old 03-26-2003, 04:22 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

Originally posted by jaje
it's in good shape...minimal shaft play...but for $100 i'm gonna get the rebuild kit and port the turbo

it even came with new gaskets and a 3 month old o2 sensor!

it was just the small cracks that worried me...but after posting on some dsm sites those are quite common and do little to reduce its lifetime (almost all of them crack like that after a while...this one has 100k miles on it)
you should be able to get a rebuild kit for $75 from majestic turbo.....if you don't get the shaft balanced during the rebuild, then don't expect it to last long.....it will wear the bearings out sooner.....you can get it balanced by majestic for like $40 last time i checked.....the rebuild kit even comes with a video on how to do it.....easy after you've done it a couple of times, but if it's your first, then take your time and be careful....easy to mess things up
Old 03-26-2003, 06:24 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by fizzbob7
you should be able to get a rebuild kit for $75 from majestic turbo.....if you don't get the shaft balanced during the rebuild, then don't expect it to last long.....it will wear the bearings out sooner.....you can get it balanced by majestic for like $40 last time i checked.....the rebuild kit even comes with a video on how to do it.....easy after you've done it a couple of times, but if it's your first, then take your time and be careful....easy to mess things up
thanks for the advice it's been helpful
Old 03-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Teg711
Purge This...

oww that would hurt falling into your lap, are your "boys" ok?