Notices

B18A for $200

Old 01-15-2003, 12:46 PM
RiceBoysDream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18A for $200

my friend has a b18a sittin in his dads shop, they pulled it outa sum teg that was abandoned. the motor has no intake manifold, or exhaust manifold, no tranny either. its just the bare motor. do u think thats a good price or is it TOO much. also how can i tell if the timing belt has broke and damaged other things? from what i saw it looks like it was cut. is that normal? i kinda dont trust him that much. what do u think i should do. ima overhaul this motor anyway, and i might send the block to the machine shop to drill the extra coolent holes for an ls/vtec conversion. i dunno im contemplating the idea.

what do u all think.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Default Re: B18A for $200

Originally posted by RiceBoysDream
do u think thats a good price or is it TOO much.
That is an awesome price.
also how can i tell if the timing belt has broke and damaged other things? from what i saw it looks like it was cut. is that normal?
take off the head and have a look-see. There is really no good reason for it to not have the timing belt on it.

and i might send the block to the machine shop to drill the extra coolent holes for an ls/vtec conversion.
The what? Do you mean the OIL plug and line mods?
Old 01-15-2003, 04:08 PM
RiceBoysDream

Default Re: Re: B18A for $200

Originally posted by Kai
That is an awesome price.

take off the head and have a look-see. There is really no good reason for it to not have the timing belt on it.

The what? Do you mean the OIL plug and line mods?
yea that stuff, i dunno about ls/vtec though, i might just build up the b18a with some cams and get my head match ported and better/stronger valves and springs. if i do that ill get my ecu chipped for a higher redline, but then if i think about it ls/vtec would be a better, and can do/get alot more outa my motor, but i dont wanna deal with an unreliable car. im tired of dealing with modded cars and unrelability.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Default Re: Re: Re: B18A for $200

Originally posted by RiceBoysDream
ls/vtec would be a better, and can do/get alot more outa my motor, but i dont wanna deal with an unreliable car. im tired of dealing with modded cars and unrelability.
An LS/VTEC hybrid will only be unrealiable if you do a piss-poor job of building it (i.e., cheaping out, simply putting the head on the block with no other work) or reving it where it doesn't belong. Observe the stock non-VTEC redline, 6.5k for 90-91 and 6.7k for 92-93 if memory serves, until you rebuild and reinforce the bottom end. Just because the powerband is above the B18A's stock redline doesn't mean it's safe to wind it up there.