Notices

starter issue

Old 11-10-2008, 03:11 PM
phone minion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter issue

i have an 88 crx si and for the past couple of months it does not want to start when the key is turned it just clicks. i can start the car by turning the key over and over again, and if i gat it started and warm it up it starts fine, but its time to fix it. i took it to autozone to have them check it but by the time i got there the car warmed up and it started just fine plus i think the guy trying to check it was an idiot. i have checked the connections and ground, but they seem fine my question is can some one tell me if it is the starter or the solinoid just by the description.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Dez420

Default starter problems

i had to replace my starter 7 times in 4 months the first time i had to replace it was cause all the bolts snapped off the 2nd and 3rd time it was doing what your describing i got it replaced again then it snapped off again i finally asked a mechanic i know he told me that there is an extra bolt in the bell-housing causing strain on the starter he removed it and the only starter problems i had after that was cause of faulty starters. you need a friend to help you test the starter. i believe its frozen, first get a tire iron or long socket wrench extension and tap the starter while trying to start it see if that works, the starter is bad and needs to be replaced the clicking is the solinoid trying to work. Also if you have alternater problems try using one from a mazda its the only one that hasnt failed on me while spinning my tires around on dirt tracks!!! also fuck autozone go to napa or pepboys get one with a limited or lifetime waranty cause you dont wan2 pay for more than one i got one with lifetime waranty and got 6 free replacements so far. good luck and email me if you have further trouble like looking for that extra bolt

Dez420
Old 12-06-2008, 03:35 PM
TRLMech

Usually the clicking means not enought current to run the starter.. check your battery and electrical connections. Also, if you have an aftermarket alarm with an imobilizer, check the relay.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 AM
cruzalekz

u need a new starter, considering the battery is good and you hear a click evrytime you tried to start the car, the exact problem will be the pinion gear which is a small gear at the end of the starter is worn out to the point that it cant mesh with the flexplate/flywheel teeth.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
shorty_boy

Default New Starter...

Yeah, i agree with the general consensus. Get a new starter. (Discount)Advanced Auto parts has a good limited/lifetime warranty plan on starters and they are about 85USD with core.

I had an ignition switch issue that I thought was my starter (my starter was good). I like the way the aftermarket starters sound and it starts the car with one crank (strong little buggers). Also get your battery tested 'cause you just might not have enough amps to kick the tranny.