Notices

Failed Emissions Again

Old 10-11-2008, 09:57 AM
gingas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Emissions Again

Yeah went back to emissions again this morning & failed . Before I went back. I cleaned & regapped my plugs to .52, inspected my wires for cracks they're ok.Also, the guy who did my swap told me to try Guarantee Pass. Did what they said fill my tank up, drive til tank almost empty refill tank & go to emissions. My CO was lower .09 from .30 & my HC went up from 439 to 603.
Now what do you guys recommend to solve this issue?
Thanks
Old 10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
jamned

eesh, that hc is really high. Is that plug gap correct? My 87 civic plug gap should be 1 mm to 1.1 mm, which is .39 in to .43 in.

Do you have a carb or a fuel injected car? It could be your carb is giving you a rich mix or your fuel injectors are getting stuck open for longer than they should be. If it's either of these two...seafoam can clean out your carb/injectors partially, though nothing matches a rebuild or new part. If you don't mind a retest in the event of another fail, I'd try putting seafoam in your gas and into your carb or a vacuum line.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:35 PM
gingas

Of what I remember the gap shows .52. I have a 91 Si Civic w/ a B16A fuel injected.Since the B16 didn't come in the US 88-91's. I order my plugs for either the Del Sol Vtec or the 99-00 Si Vtec plugs which there gap shows .52.
Would a chipped ECU cause me to fail?
Curious
Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by gingas
Would a chipped ECU cause me to fail?
Curious
That sounds possible. If your ECU is chipped then you most likely are running altered fuel/ignition maps. In addition to that, if the ECU was not tuned to the motor then you may be running rich and overworking your catalytic converter.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:03 AM
gingas

Yeah, I never had it tuned to motor.
How, I actually ended with a chipped spoon program ecu is when I first got swap done the people who shipped the motor sent a automatic B16A ECU which only redline to 7500 k instead of the normal 8.2. Told my buddy who did swap & that's how I got it. Vtec kicks on at 5K instead of the don't remember 4.4 or 4.5.