Notices

1991 Integra D16 in 1990 Honda CRX Problems & Halfshaft Damage

Old 10-09-2006, 07:10 AM
BranZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, the splines look good. I just think the outer area is messed up. I pull the hub off the halfshaft and still can not get it to seat. The passenger side does exactly what you mentioned. No problems on that side. I may have to reference the motor spacing in the car off the halfshafts. BranZ
Old 10-09-2006, 07:46 AM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by BranZ
How do I know when I get it to the right angle? Is the valve cover completely level? Can I put a level on the valve cover and level it and build the mount to match? What is the spacing from the strut tower timing chain gear? I am looking for some reference points to get this thing in there right. BranZ
the 3 transmission mounts (front, rear and passenger side) should get it in the correct location if everything is right - i would locate the engine so that all of the bolts that go thru the mounts on the transmission and the mounts on the chassis in these 3 locations will slide easily thru the mounts without binding - this should get it right front to rear and side to side - as for up and down, the transmission side should be o.k. - the problem will be on the driver's side - the top of the D16A1, due to its larger camshaft gears and timing belt cover, sits higher than the stock SOHC engine which can cause the timing belt cover to hit the hood - i would locate the driver's side so that it was as high as possible and still be able to close the hood - it may be sloping down slightly on the driver's side, but this shouldn't have much affect on how the axles fit
Old 10-09-2006, 07:53 AM
jlicrx

How do I know when I get it to the right angle? Is the valve cover completely level? Can I put a level on the valve cover and level it and build the mount to match? What is the spacing from the strut tower timing chain gear? I am looking for some reference points to get this thing in there right. BranZ
since this engine did not originally come in this model of car, there is no "correct" position - just have to make it work the best you can
Old 10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
BranZ

Thanks for the tips. They make sense. I am still waiting word from the customer on what to do with it. Is the D16a1 a pretty good motor for performance? Or should he start looking for a better motor? Is it worth is time and money to keep working with this motor? BranZ
Old 10-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

U know whats funny...

The guy who swapped that in there is probably one of the many idiots who came asking for advice on swapping a DOHC D16A1 into his 4G and heard all of us saying its not a good idea, and how "not worth it" it is, but insisted on doing it anyways... And then did it wrong...

Now I ask the idiot who swapped it: was it worth it for what 8-10 more HP????

Good luck fixing it tho man... I hate going back over other peoples screw ups and I know it can be a pain in the ass... But atleast your getting paid to fix it...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:52 AM
jlicrx

Thanks for the tips. They make sense. I am still waiting word from the customer on what to do with it. Is the D16a1 a pretty good motor for performance? Or should he start looking for a better motor? Is it worth is time and money to keep working with this motor? BranZ
as exempt said, this swap is a bad idea for several reasons - particularly the engine that you are working with - it appears to be the 86-87 model (someone put 88-89 valve cover and distributor on it) which is only like 112hp, has a terrible intake manifold and low compression ratio - you may have noticed when you changed the clutch, that you couldn't get all of the bolts in from the transmission to the block and that the starter is probably held on by only one bolt - i would suspect that the distributor has only one bolt holding it on and that the one bolt doesn't even match the hole in the distributor leg - if they were going to go to the trouble of trying to swap a D16A1 engine into the car, they should have at least used the 88-89 model which would have come closer to working - for some reason, a lot of people think the USDM 86-89 Integra D16A1 engine is the same as the 130hp JDM DOHC ZC engine that came from the factory in the Japanese 88-91 CRX and Civic Si models - it is not the same engine, not even close
Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Yea, Id definately tell him to choose another engine... A D16A6 tho SOHC, would be a much better option for many reasons... Its arguably one of, if not the best D series engines out there (VTEC or not)... With plenty of aftermarket support for it... If he wants to stay DOHC and has the extra $$ Id go with a DOHC ZC (the real ZC!)...
Old 10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i second (or third now) recommending replacing that engine with something more common and easier to work with

as they noted the d16a6 is a great engine and bulletproof...and as noted aftermarket support is 10x greater than you get with a d16a1
Old 10-09-2006, 05:05 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Buy a ZC
Old 10-09-2006, 06:24 PM
BranZ

Nice catch on the starter issue. I tore it apart thinking that the bottom bolt was missing. When I put it back together guess what NO hole for a second bolt. I agree with Exempt that some people just need to keep to reading the magazines about this stuff. I have said it once and will say it again. Thanks for everyones input on this situation. BranZ