Notices

what year again is the 'odd' year for 2g CRX's?

Old 09-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what year again is the 'odd' year for 2g CRX's?

I tried doing a search guys but must not have worded it right... I have a 91 HF CRX and she is going through some pretty heavy oil, I look out the drivers side mirror and I can watch a puff (CLOUD) if I stomp on the gas too much, so I have a feeling the rings are shot. Keep in mind, 205k miles... now my buddy has an 88 CRX 1.5L (he said its a 16v?), what are the odds these two vehicles are exact and I can do swaps out of the 88 into mine? the 88 needs a distributor he says and thats why he wants to get rid of it. I can probably get it off him for around $200 LOL. It has FULL interior, body is pretty beat but the engine actually runs better than mine.

if I am able to pull off this deal, can I interchange the two vehicles? The body on my 91 is very good considering its been in New England for the majority of its life, and I have a very sizeable competition stereo in it that I really dont want to remove... but will if I have to?

I have a part 2 to this question, but lets discuss this fairly simple question right now... are they swappable? I know one of the years in the 2g is a 'black sheep' so ....

thanks everyone Jason
Old 09-05-2006, 06:18 AM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Check and compare the engine stamps, and if each car is multi-point EFI or dual-point EFI. Bring your results back here.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 AM
jlicrx

sounds like his CRX is the DX model - if so, the 1.5L engine in it has Dual Point Fuel Injection where your HF has Multi Point Fuel Injection - yes, you could swap his DX engine into your HF, but you would need to swap the intake manifold, engine wiring harness and distributor from your HF onto the DX engine - you would also need to swap your HF flywheel and clutch assembly onto the DX engine - other than that, it would be a direct swap
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

lol it sounds like a direct pain in my ass...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

on to part two of my question.

since the main reason I need help is because my car is smoking more than a pack a day, and I think its the rings, here is another option.

Rings mean the head comes off right? Well another friend of mine has a VTEC head for a CRX, would it be worth my time to have that put in my car along with new rings/etc? I can find out exactly what head it is if you need (which im sure you do)... an engine with 200k+ on it doesnt seem like a good investment to me, but reliability does.

p.s.s.s.s.s. what does a ring job go for?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:17 PM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by Bmpn
Well another friend of mine has a VTEC head for a CRX, would it be worth my time to have that put in my car along with new rings/etc?
wouldn't be worth it on the HF engine
Old 09-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Rings mean the head comes off right?
Rings means the entire engine comes apart.
what does a ring job go for?
Almost as much as a full rebuild, in the same price class as a ZC swap.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:27 PM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

Originally Posted by Kai
Rings means the entire engine comes apart.
nah done it before with the engine still in the car. Remove head and oil pan. take the rods and pistons right out the top its just hard to keep things clean but very doable.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by daveb91
nah done it before with the engine still in the car.
Of course you can do it with the block still in the car, but you have to take the engine completely apart. With the head off, the oil pan dropped, and the rotating assembly halfway removed, there isn't much left.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Yea, not worth it... (Rebuilding the HF engine or swapping the B2 in there) Id say just buy a ZC, a D16A6, or even a complete SOHC VTEC engine (if u can get one cheap enough) and slap it in there...