Notices

I need help please, please...

Old 07-23-2006, 08:58 PM
redcivicforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help please, please...

I've posted about this to no real help and it just happened again. It's absolutley going to get me rear-ended if I can't figure it out soon, so I can fix it.

Problem is with my 91 civic hatch dx 1.5, 5-speed. This problem is intermittent and has happened maybe 8 times or so times in the past 2 months or so. When I'm taking off from a stop, in 1st gear only, it'll get a slow start like normal then all of a sudden it feels like either I let me foot off the gas or lightly stepped on the brake or put in the clutch, it feels like it's getting no gas it doesn't rev/race the engine even though I'll give it more gas in a panic cause the car behind me is tailgating me just inches from rear bumper having no idea what's going on that I can't get the car to go it feels similar to a vapor lock which I have never had happen in this car but inn my mom's volvo it did and felt similar. Then after giving it a lot of gas with no rev or acknowledgement it will slowly start to go/accellerate and then a couple times it has actually screeched lightly as if I've reved it (without the engine racing noise as I said) and then a popped out the clutch. Then it'll jerk and finally go and it will run normal like it always has for another week or 2 and then out of the blue happen again. By some Godly miracle I've avoided being rearended but maybe one day I won't be so lucky though is my main concern here. Other than the fact it can't be good for the car what's happening. I've had people suggest it could be the Air intake, or a clogged fuel filter or a fuel pump going bad. How likely is it a computer diagnositc could find the problem? The engine light isn't on. With it being so intermittent I can't duplicate it for a mechanic. Please let me know what you think or if I can help any further info to help you tell what it might be.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

As I said in your first post, it sounds more like a slipping clutch... Specially since now you mention it is intermittent... Although, I really could be a number of things as mentioned... Could also be a clogged or failing injector... But I dont believe fuel problems like those are intermittent... I think usually they either will continue, or get worse...

As for cumputer diagnostic, I doubt it... If the ECU sees all is fine, a diagnostic machine wont be able to tell you much of anything... More than likely its a mechanical failure...

BTW, posting the same thread over and over again in so many different forums is not a good idea...

Last edited by Exempt; 07-23-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Moved to CRX & Pre-92 Civic.
We have specific forums for a reason.

Do not spam the forums with the same thread. :a:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:52 AM
89ZCREX

do you have any engine codes? If your Timing belt slip a couple teeth it would do that. I would check timing, then your cap and rotor. Just to make sure its not missing. An o2 sensor can cause this to, but you would most likely have a code. If your clutch was slipping it would do it under a load (like pulling a hill) in any gear...I dont think thats it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:58 AM
redcivicforever

Originally Posted by 89ZCREX
do you have any engine codes? If your Timing belt slip a couple teeth it would do that. I would check timing, then your cap and rotor. Just to make sure its not missing. An o2 sensor can cause this to, but you would most likely have a code. If your clutch was slipping it would do it under a load (like pulling a hill) in any gear...I dont think thats it.
Thanks for the info makes sense about the clutch since I just had it replaced about 8 months ago I don't think thats it either (I hope not anyway!) I was told no codes would show, cause most of the time it runs good-however theres only one other thing that the car does do, it does idle kind of off when at a stop/idle. It idles low sometimes like its gonna stall but it doesn't, then it will give itself a little gas and then idle a little low again then give itself a little gas (it has a small vibration when this happens but nothing major) would this problem together with the affirmentioned problem help indicate what it most likely is or eliminate anything as a posibility? Maybe show some codes cause of the idle issue and that could possibly be the same problem that is causing this issue? Thanks again for the info, I appreciate your help
Old 07-25-2006, 03:28 PM
89ZCREX

sounds like IACV. If it does it at a stop or idle. Your Idle Air Control Valve might be bad or it might not be working because, you might be low on coolant. The IACV works off the temp. of your engine, so if the coolant is low, it wont read the temp. When it does that, it doesnt know what to do.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:39 AM
redcivicforever

Originally Posted by 89ZCREX
sounds like IACV. If it does it at a stop or idle. Your Idle Air Control Valve might be bad or it might not be working because, you might be low on coolant. The IACV works off the temp. of your engine, so if the coolant is low, it wont read the temp. When it does that, it doesnt know what to do.
Thanks for the help man, I appreciate it
Old 08-07-2006, 04:00 PM
shorty_boy

Originally Posted by redcivicforever
...it does idle kind of off when at a stop/idle. It idles low sometimes like its gonna stall but it doesn't, then it will give itself a little gas and then idle a little low again then give itself a little gas (it has a small vibration when this happens but nothing major) w...
betsie does this to except she rarely gives herself gas to raise RPMs up. The coolant is filled to the max... any other reason why this would happen besides bad IACV. My friend says that it isn't bad
Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
redcivicforever

Originally Posted by shorty_boy
betsie does this to except she rarely gives herself gas to raise RPMs up. The coolant is filled to the max... any other reason why this would happen besides bad IACV. My friend says that it isn't bad
sounds like we may have the same problem it's true that mine gives it gas but it also does it rarley more often it barely keeps from stalling at least from the sound of it. If you do find out what is causing it please let me know-and I will do the same for you if I find anything out for sure
Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 AM
HONDA_driven
got vtec?

Meter the TPS sensor with a multimeter at cold temperatures and then again warm running temps. check for a variance in voltage. I think you'll be happy to find your answer. Throttle Position sensors dont usually throw codes unless they are completely shorted.