Notices

YS1 Cable Tranny won't shift!!! Help!!!

Old 07-02-2006, 04:53 PM
CivicSiR7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS1 Cable Tranny won't shift!!! Help!!!

I just swapped a B16 motor I had for awhile. It came from a XSi Integra. After completeion of the swap, motor started up and ran fine. One big problem, it will not shift into gear. I adjusted the clutch cable a dozen times and still no change. But it will shift if the engine is not running. But if the engine is running, its hard to put into gear and the car starts to move on its own without releasing the clutch. For example if I shove the shift lever to 1st, the car will jump forward and shut off. What can be the problem clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, or throwout bearing? My greatest fear is the transmission. Please help!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:15 PM
latinracerct

sounds like your pressure plate
Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by CivicSiR7
I just swapped a B16 motor I had for awhile. It came from a XSi Integra. After completeion of the swap, motor started up and ran fine. One big problem, it will not shift into gear. I adjusted the clutch cable a dozen times and still no change. But it will shift if the engine is not running. But if the engine is running, its hard to put into gear and the car starts to move on its own without releasing the clutch. For example if I shove the shift lever to 1st, the car will jump forward and shut off. What can be the problem clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, or throwout bearing? My greatest fear is the transmission. Please help!
I had the same problem almost a year ago. After 1 month of trial and error, and dropping the transmission out 4 times, I discovered that the clutch pedal itself broke. Double check underneath the dash where the pedals are and make sure the pedal is operating correctly. For some reason, crxs and civics have weak pedal assemblies and can break where the clutch pedal pivots. You can pick up a new pedal assembly from a parts yard for like 30-50 bucks depending on the yard.
If thats okay, then it could either be your clutch itself or your clutch release system. The good news: it's definitely not your transmission causing your problem.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:57 AM
CivicSiR7

Ok, what about this. Before I even start the engine, I've put it in the 1st gear. Then start the engine witout releasing the clutch pedal, the car just jumps forward. Thats how I know it cannot be the clutch cable. What else can it be??? Hey RevengeCRX, I'm moving to Vegas in week thats why I need my car going. It'll be helpful if you/anybody give me somemore insight on this problem. I need help bad!!!

Last edited by CivicSiR7; 07-03-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:33 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by CivicSiR7
Ok, what about this. Before I even start the engine, I've put it in the 1st gear. Then start the engine witout releasing the clutch pedal, the car just jumps forward. Thats how I know it cannot be the clutch cable. What else can it be??? Hey RevengeCRX, I'm moving to Vegas in week thats why I need my car going. It'll be helpful if you/anybody give me somemore insight on this problem. I need help bad!!!
Good, so it's not your clutch cable, but i'm actually referring to the actual clutch pedal itself. Go under your dash where your pedals are, and take a peek at the pedals, make sure the clutch pedal is not broken in any way.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:33 AM
CivicSiR7

The clutch pedal assembly is fine and working good. I had a friend step on it and I watched the clutch arm on the tranny go up and down. Can a brand new clutch or wrong clutch be the cause of it? The cutch is brand new, its a XTD clutch (Ebay, yeah I know!) for a 92-93 Integra. I was thinking if this motor came off of a 92 Integra XSi, that it will need a 92-93 clutch setup. I know the 90-91 clutch setup is different. What else to look for?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Check the bitch pin, the 8x20mm roll pin connecting the linkage to the transaxle. If it is loose or has been replaced with a bolt or something else, problems like this may occur.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:30 PM
ChrisS

Was the bolt that connects the fork which holds the throwout bearing to the shaft that the clutch cable torqued correctly? (or maybe it worked loose on its own?)

How much freeplay does the clutch cable have when your foot is off the clutch pedal? (measured at the transmission connection it should be 1 or 2mm)

Assuming you didn't swap the tranny also,
Is the flywheel thinner than the one you had on your previous engine?
(A thinner flywheel would move the pressure plate away from the throw out bearing >> meaning you couldn't fully disengage the clutch)
_or_
if you had the flywheel machined (the clutch surface) and they didn't keep the step distance between the clutch surface and the pressure plate mounting surface to spec, you could have trouble disengaging the clutch fully.
-if the step is too small, you cannot disengage the clutch fully because you've reached the limit of the pressure plate release before the clutch is fully disengaged
-if it's too big, you won't get full wear out your clutch plate

so much fun. (ugh)
Old 07-04-2006, 09:23 PM
CivicSiR7

Yeah, I used the bitch pin. The flywheel was a lighten flywheel. Also the bolt that holds the fork for the throwout bearing wasn't torqued down to spec. I just assumed that I tightened it down good enough. Man shit doesn't goes as plan when you rush.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:06 PM
MeJ_kOOb

ok hahah ur a dumbass!!!!!!!!