Notices

Is 12 MPG a little bad?

Old 12-17-2006, 02:59 PM
4banging2slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor troubleshoot

I got a air/fuel ratio gauge for my 92 honda prelude sir. I have the h23a engine in it. All stock o2 sensor and computer. Also have a complete manual for the car that tells you everything you want to know about it including wiring diagrams. Even tho the diagrams wern't clear to what wire was what. I still had to trouble shoot. Jack up or get some tire ramps on your car. I used tire ramps so all I have to do it put my e-break on and I am good for safety. If you jack it up use some jack stands so if the jack goes out you won't get crushed. I seen it happen and its not pretty pealing body parts off the ground and under the car. Before doing this take your car for a short drive to warm up your engine and o2 sensor. YOu can turn off the engine to save gas while getting prepaired to troubleshoot. Just lift car and let it run while doing this. Leave your o2 sensor plugged in. Find a white wire and get a clamp and some wire long enough to run up to the top of the engine. Get a wire clamp. Usually plastic and has a metal link in the center to pinch 2 wires and connect them without splicing the wire. Put the voltmeter on 12v DC. If not labled it will be the line with dots. Not the swigly line. Connect the wire you hooked to your o2 sensor to the + side of the voltmeter and connect the - to the engine. When you o2 sensor is warmed up your volt meter if digital go up and down over and over again. If sluggish going up and down. The o2 sensor is fouled. If not doing it at all then its probably bad. Rememeber it will go up and down if computer controled. For the voltmeter. The diagram is 0.1 volts is lean. 1.0 volts is rich. You really need a air/fuel ratio gauge and wire it up the same wire coming from the o2 sensor. The ground to your engine for quickest path to ground of o2 sensor. Red to any positive 12 volt sorce and your good. Drive it around. IF it sweeps while crusing your good. Then stomp the gas. If it goes all the way to rich your good. If it goes to lean your good. WHile crusing and it stays rich your bad. Hope this helps