Notices

starting question

Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 PM
georgelv1999
'92 black widow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting question

I have a starting/electrical question. Sometimes, my car won't start, but it will click. I changed the starter already, so I know it's not that, I hope. But once I left the shop, when I would hit the breaks, my radio would go off. It wasn't like this before, so I took it back. The guy said it's my ignition switch that is starting to go. That with it failing, it's not sending the current to the radio. It doesn't do this all the time, but once in a while. But when I turn off the car, and try to arm the alarm, it goes bizzirk. It won't lock or anything, and it sounds like it gets spurts of electricity. Now, my conclusion is that it is the ignition switch, bcuz the stereo and alarm are both connected to the power from the column. What do you guys think? If it is, is it hard to change?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Check the battery with a multimeter. With the car off, it should read 12.0-12.5volts.

Then, check the battery terminal connections. They should be clean and tight with no corrosion.

Then, with the car running, check voltage across the battery again. It should read 13.5-14.5volts, standard alternator output.

A weak alternator will undercharge the battery and cause all sorts of low voltage related issues (such as the car not starting or the radio cutting off.) Ignition switches, especially in Hondas, rarely go bad.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:06 PM
monzster

i would check for corrosion on the battery terminals but your mechanic should have done that first thing. incorrect voltage can cause the problems you are running across. usually the ignition switch doesnt go bad it is the harness that goes to the back of the switch but when this happens the car will cut off as soon as it is started. its possible it could be starting to go bad. with the car running wiggle the key back and forth slightly and see if the dash lights come on (brake, alt, ect. not the illumination lights) or the car cuts off. if so its the harness.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:01 AM
georgelv1999
'92 black widow

I've checked the battery. The terminals are brand new, and they are tight. What else could it be? I guess maybe the battery might be bad. I have had the car for like 1 1/2 years, and I haven't changed it, and I don't know how long the battery was on there. Any other opinions?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:59 AM
kd5dbl

Acutally, I had the same issue with the radio on my '89 hatch... it DID turn out to be the ignition switch. It's a real easy thing to swap out.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 AM
georgelv1999
'92 black widow

That's a good sign then. How much did you get it for, and where did you get it?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:44 AM
kd5dbl

Call your local Honda house... Honda is very good about reusing parts on other models. Turns out that switch is used on a lot of other models in later years. The local Honda dealer had it in stock even. it's been a while, but I remember it costing around $30.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 AM
kd5dbl

One more thing... if you'd like test the switch... here's the page out of the service manual on how to do it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ignition-switch-test.jpg (114.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-15-2006, 12:31 PM
georgelv1999
'92 black widow

Oh, ok, I thought it was going to be a lot. Is it hard to fix? I mean, what would be the steps for it.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by kd5dbl
Acutally, I had the same issue with the radio on my '89 hatch... it DID turn out to be the ignition switch. It's a real easy thing to swap out.

Yea. All the Hondas i've had, i had to replace the ignition switch on. 86 Crx, the radio quit, just like you said above. Same symptoms. It died on the road, and after 10 minutes or so, it finally cranked back up to get it home to replace it. The radio quiting, and it not starting, etc., led me to belive that's what it was without even needing any help. This was back when i was a little kid too. Since then, my 88 prelude and my 91 crx needed ignition switches also.