Notices

D16Y8 Mini Swap

Old 11-10-2005, 11:30 AM
MOJOMONKEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y8 Mini Swap

Ok, so im going to "attempt" this swap on my friends motor. he is running a stock D16A6 out of his 91 Hatchback. I need to know what all i need besides the Head, what computer and distributor and wireingharness and what else i will need to do this for him this weekend or so.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

As I said in the other post the Y8 is a good candidate if you want to stay OBD0 and keep the stock dizzy because it will bolt up without modification... As for compression and detonation, it can probably be prevented with higher octane fuel...

Now I honestly dont know if what you read is true or not... But heres the way Id go:

If he wants to stay cheap and OBD0, itll also hurt his performance aswell, then go with the Y8 and either an RPM activated switch or VTEC controller...

If he wants to do it right and convert to OBD1, id go with the Z6...

Depending on which way he wants to go, also determines what other parts he needs...

ECUs:
OBD0 - stock PM6
OBD1 - P28
(dont forget to make sure its a 5 speed if he has a 5 speed, and auto if he has auto)

Timing belt:
I *THINK* you need the correct one that goes for the head... So for the Z6 get from a 92-95 Civic Si/EX and for a Y8 96-00 Civic Ex...

And then a complete head, intake manifold (unless hes staying OBD0), VTEC solenoid, dizzy (unless hes staying OBD0)...

As for wiring, either way you go, you reuse the stock harness, you will just have to add some things... If OBD0 you just need to add a VTEC activation wire... If going OBD1, get a rywire harness and make it easy... Personally I reccomend the $190 jammy they have to make it uber easy, very little wiring... If you dont get the $190 you will have to wire up the OBD1 dizzy, add a VTEC wire, and 2 for the VTEC oil pressure switch, and 4 wires for the O2 sensor... I think thats all, but I could be wrong...

Oh and dont foget a head gasket and coolant... Also a good idea to get new head studs...
Old 11-11-2005, 02:34 AM
Tankard

I know this is a dumb question, but could you do a DOHC mini me(adding vtec) on a DOHC ZC motor?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:16 AM
mr.crx

no!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by mr.crx
no!
:werd: