Notices

Civic losing coolant

Old 10-18-2005, 11:20 AM
buddy_00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian18
Hey guys, I have a question about my 90 Honda Civic.. It has the stock 1.5L engine in it, and lately I've been losing coolant. It kept heating up the other day and the temperature guage would shoot up to the top. So I would turn the heater on and it quickly made the guage come back down. I pulled over and let it cool for awhile. When I looked inside the radiator, it had lost a good portion of it's coolant. So I fill it back up, and the next day, it does the same thing. I check the oil, and it doesn't look like it's getting coolant in it. So I put some cardboard underneath my car to see if it was dripping, and there were no drips. I checked my tailpipe, and when I rev it up, I get a good bit of moisture out of it, but someone told me that was normal as long as there's no steam or white smoke. I also have a lot of black soot around the tailpipe which I'm guessing means I'm burning some oil. This engine has 205k miles on it. Does anyone have any advice for me on tracking this leak down? I'm assuming it's a leak somewhere since it doesn't look like water is mixing with the oil. Thanks.
run a pressure test first, it's probably the heater core. do your windows get foggy when you start the car with the heat on? if they do, it's the heater core. (swap a zc motor in there instead, 1.5l are junk
Old 10-22-2005, 05:56 PM
DUNK_Performanc
ThAiLaNd-Land of Smiles

Originally Posted by buddy_00
run a pressure test first, it's probably the heater core. do your windows get foggy when you start the car with the heat on? if they do, it's the heater core. (swap a zc motor in there instead, 1.5l are junk
this is old news....
Old 10-22-2005, 08:28 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

I had the same problem in my car. I just put in a new thermostat, the 180 degree one not the 190 one. And I just threw a new KOYO radiator in there for extra. And it has never overheated since.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:39 AM
m735is

I just bought a car for the same reason. Very small leak, I thought the PO made a mistake saying it was the head gasket because it still ran pretty good. It doesn't overheat though (letting it run while I washed it) and I didn't see any signs of water in the oil. Today I started it, but just long enough to get some heat out, on the under side of the oil cap I found a very small amount of milkshake. Letting it run longer must have burned off the water in the oil. Maybe yours is doing the same. Either way, I'll have to do the headgasket (water pump and timing belt too since I just got it).

Have you done compression check yet?