Notices

Fuel pump relay question.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump relay question.

Is there a relay for the fuel pump in a 91 crx si and if so, could it be faulty? I looked for a fuse under the dash, and there was not one. I just replaced my fuel pump about 4 months ago. I just got back in my car at the grocery store. It cranked up, idled down an died. It would not crank again. I noticed, i did not hear the fuel pump cycle on like it should when i tunred on the ignition. I turned the ignition on and off a few times and i finally heard it cycle on(fuel pump) and it cranked up. Anyway, is this more than likely a faulty fuel pump or a bad relay? It drives fine after it's cranked and stays cranked. By the way, it's a Federal Mogul fuel pump from Pep Boys. Are these fuel pumps known to be POS's? The reason i'm thinking it may be the main relay, is becasues my a/c only works sometimes. Does the main relay go to the fuel pump and a/c compressor? Thanks for any info.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:47 PM
CroCivic90DX

I'd say main relay. If it's having problems starting in hot weather, or after you've driven it for a while, shut it down and try to start again after you get back from shop, but it wont - it's most likely the main relay. Just take it out, resolder the joints and slap it back in. I did it 7 months ago and it starts every time since then.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by CroCivic90DX
I'd say main relay. If it's having problems starting in hot weather, or after you've driven it for a while, shut it down and try to start again after you get back from shop, but it wont - it's most likely the main relay. Just take it out, resolder the joints and slap it back in. I did it 7 months ago and it starts every time since then.

Yep. I searched this site about main relays and saw that post. It may have been one of your posts. If it was, great info. Saved me 70 bucks or so of the cost of it. I just finished doing it. I took it out, which was kind of a pain in the tail, and actually saw where two of the solders had seperated(cracked apart) in the main relay. I soldered them back. It should be good as new.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:49 AM
CroCivic90DX

Aye...getting it out was a huge pain for me too. I'm quite tall and have no garage or a private place to do it, so i had to do it on a parking lot. At around midnight, i was in a funny position, with my feet going out the passenger's door, and my head under the pedals, trying to unscrew the damn little screw down there. Finally got it out and it was much easier to get it back in once it was all resoldered

Anyway, I found the info for a main relay on another forum and vowed to spread the word