Notices

In a little jam - help with exhaust and sway bar.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:06 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In a little jam - help with exhaust and sway bar.

I recently purchased an A'PEXi WS exhaust because I purchased a 1991 Civic Si with a straight exhaust. Too loud for some of the events in this area.

Went to put it on and ran into a problem. The car I purchased has a Suspension Techniques rear sway bar and I'm having a fun time trying to figure out how to get the one pipe over/around the sway bar.

Has anyone run into this problem? If so what did you do?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 03-18-2005, 05:36 PM
ED9man
driver

Aftermarket exhausts are designed around the stock bars. They usually have very tight clearences over the stock bars even to keep the pipe as straight as possible for maximum flow. Bigger bar = not enough clearance sometimes.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:52 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by ED9man
Aftermarket exhausts are designed around the stock bars. They usually have very tight clearences over the stock bars even to keep the pipe as straight as possible for maximum flow. Bigger bar = not enough clearance sometimes.
Well yeah I figured that much out.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I really depends on the exhaust. The Evo that I have has plenty of clearance over my Comptech swaybar and was easy to put in. The two options you can opt for is either put a stock swaybar back on or buy a different exhaust.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:36 AM
S2Kev

How bad is the clearance? If it is just a little bit or something, I'd probably dent the exhaust pipe a bit. h:
Old 03-19-2005, 05:27 AM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Well yeah I figured that much out.
Then what are you asking? Bend the exhaust or something.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Brad
wooo nascar!

i remember reading a little disclaimer thing when i ordered my sway bars for my civic that said it may interfere with some aftermarket exhaust systems. i guess its a good thing i changed my mind on that exhaust, cuz i was gonna get that along with those same sway bars.

im choosing a more economical route and getting a new stock mid pipe from napa for like $80 (my resonator is rattling like a bitch right now) and just getting the tenzo axle-back for like 150. ive had the WS on my old civic and my teg and absolutely loved it, but if its not gonna work with the sway bars im getting, forget it. i know someone with the stock b-pipe and tenzo axle back and i like how it looks/sounds/performs.

i remember reading somewhere that mugen discovered that there is little to no gains made by replacing the mid pipe with a larger diameter pipe. the muffler (axle back) is where the restriction is in the oem exhaust, so just replacing the axle-back is where you'll see the most bang for your buck.

i understand though that your current exhaust may not route the same as oem, and then buying a whole new cat back would make sense.

if you're really stuck on keeping that exhaust, maybe you could try another brand of sway bar. im pretty sure eibach makes bars for the EF. you could sell the ST bars to me