Notices

85 CRX DX Fuel Injection Conversion

Old 02-05-2005, 04:04 PM
TrustyOleBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 CRX DX Fuel Injection Conversion

I have a few 1985/87 models Honda CRX DX and I wanted to convert one of them to a fuel injection car. What components am I going to need to do this (as far as sources)? I would prefer to use new parts if possible. Maybe a kit available to perform this swap? I have no idea, I don't deal with Hondas. I'm a Ford guy, but since I'm stuck with them, I might as well play with them a little bit.

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by TrustyOleBlue
What components am I going to need to do this (as far as sources)?
An entire 85 or 86-87 CRX Si would do.
I would prefer to use new parts if possible.
If you want to use new parts, expect to plunk down about $3000 at the Honda dealer. :happysad:
Maybe a kit available to perform this swap? I have no idea, I don't deal with Hondas. I'm a Ford guy(...)
Well, in this sense, the Ford guys are lucky. You have availible bolt-on kits to convert the old 8's to fuel injection. There is no such kit for Hondas, you have only two choices: strip a 3G CRX Si of all it's FI parts and swap them on, or install an Si tank with its high pressure fuel pump, run new fuel lines to the front, and peice together a Haltech or similar aftermarket EMS system (WAY overkill for that car.)

There really isn't much to do... have you ever considered a head swap and a intake manifold and carburator upgrade?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:24 PM
TrustyOleBlue

Well as far as the kit idea goes, it was an idea
I'm not concerned with the cost, its going to be a sponsored racing car. The car is going to be for a younger friend who just turned 15 and is just getting into the racing scene. I'd rather he be at a track under supervision and safety coordinators than out on the streets risking his life. Fuel injection was something I wanted for the vehicle, primarily for the fuel return so that any unused fuel would be simply returned to the fuel tank. It is true, there are "kits" that I can buy to convert CFI to EFI in a Ford vehicle, but surely that isn't the only brand that has a kit or assembly of parts that can be purchased to ease the conversion of one fuel system to another? Okay, since there isn't a kit and I don't have a donor car on hand, what components am I looking at for the conversion?

"install an Si tank with its high pressure fuel pump, run new fuel lines to the front, and peice together a Haltech system (WAY overkill for that car.)"
I am not familiar with a Haltech system, could you inform me?

If I have to buy the components, what are some good websites that I can buy the parts I need to make this happen?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The car is going to be for a younger friend who just turned 15 and is just getting into the racing scene. (...) Fuel injection was something I wanted for the vehicle, primarily for the fuel return so that any unused fuel would be simply returned to the fuel tank.
A fifteen year old would do just fine with a carburator. As for the fuel return, your logic makes no sense.
Okay, since there isn't a kit and I don't have a donor car on hand, what components am I looking at for the conversion?
OK, well... you'll need the gas tank, pump, lines, complete wiring harness, all sensors, cylinder head, intake manifold, intake piping, fuel lines, rail, injectors, ECU, and more. You really need an Si parts car to get everything.
I am not familiar with a Haltech system, could you inform me?
It's a $1100 fully programmable aftermarket fuel injection computer that can be configured to run on various sets of sensors. Since you don't have these sensors, you'll have to buy and install them, along with the basic fuel injection fuel supply system.
If I have to buy the components, what are some good websites that I can buy the parts I need to make this happen?
Websites? There are none. You'll have to look it up, part-by-part.

To be perfectly honest, if you have to ask about converting a 3G body to fuel injection, you probably can't do it. You either need to swap in the complete system from an Si or do a hybrid Si and stand alone EMS swap. Coming from Fords to Hondas is pretty much like moving from the US to Japan... you have to learn everything over again.

I don't mean to discourage you, but this isn't a simple job.