Notices

b16 wont stay running

Old 01-19-2005, 08:25 PM
crxresurrect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 wont stay running

i start my crx up and the engine runs up to about 1750 rpms and then about 2 mins later it starts to go down to 1000 rpms and then the engine just dies. Then i start it right back up and then the idle goes back and forth between 250 rpms to 700 rpms for about 5 to 10 secs and then you hit the gas and it idles at 1000 rpms and goes up to 1300 rpms and about 5 mins later it dies again. It does the same thing every start up, i have no idea whats wrong. HELP!!!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:26 PM
augy

Well, it could be quite a few things. I've had somewhat similar problems before, and some basic things to check out are:
1) throttle cable
2) TB idler screw
3) fuel delivery. Be sure you're getting fuel to your injectors
4) you could have a really clogged air filter
5) Timing. There are some situations I've heard of and which have been reported on this forum where the timing is so bad that the car wouldn't start, so your timing could be so off that once the car settles down to an idling RPM, the engine is running so inefficiently that it can't even keep itself spinning.
6) Compression.

Those are the basics, in the order I'd check them in.
Try to give us more about the problem. Can you get your car running normally once it's started up?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:12 AM
Tankard

My dads Ford Taurus did about the same thing you said yours is doing. It was the idle air control valve. Try taking it off, blow it out with compressed air, and spray some silicone spray in it. I've never had one go bad on any of my Hondas to where they would'nt stay running, but it's possible i guess.