Notices

91 DX stalls going 50mph...AND 10mph

Old 01-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Coastalcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 DX stalls going 50mph...AND 10mph

My wonderful little car stalls intermittently while I'm driving. It only happens occasionally, but it does seem to be getting worse and more frequent.

I will be going down the highway at cruising speed when it will all of the sudden stop accelerating. It kind of coughs and hesitates, and then it comes back. Also, as I slow to make a turn or cross an intersection it acts like it won't accept any more gas, and struggles along at 4mph until it suddenly "wakes up" and behaves normally again. When it is behaving like this it's as if the gas pedal doesn't work.

It has only completely stalled twice, and then it almost behaved as if it were flooded and it didn't want to start again. This has happened about 25 times in the last three months and is becoming more frequent. Weather conditions don't seem to matter.

I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned out the gas line. I've taken it to two mechanics who recommend replacing fuel system parts one at a time unitl it stops doing this...then we'd know what the problem was.

If anyone has any ideas on where to start looking or what to start replacing I would sincerely appreciate it! Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Tankard

Have you done a tune up lately. Spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires. Could also be a faulty fuel pump. I'd replace that last though, because, it's probably the most expensive thing to do. Have you ever put the carb and fuel injector cleaner in your gas and filled up with 93 octane istead of 87. This may help. Also, even try some water remover stuff in your fuel. It's usually the simple stuff that causes that to happen. Could also be the idle air control valve. Take it off, and skeet some silicone spray lubricant inside of it and blow it out with compressed air. Nevermimd, it's probably not the iacv if it stalls at 50mph.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Civic/DX

You could be experiencing vapor lock. Did you recently change the gas cap? If you have a gas cap with a rubber ring around it, cut a slit across one side.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:07 AM
ronin84

Same thing happened to me awhile ago... everything from spark plug, distributor, and injector coil had to be replaced. Like Tankard said, tune up tune up tune up. Cost me half a grand to fix the damn thing