Notices

New to the CRX world, have some questions

Old 12-28-2004, 08:38 AM
neogeo92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the CRX world, have some questions

Hi everyone. I am new to the CRX, as I just got one from my brother-in-law for Christmas. It is a black '91 with a stock motor. I have been reading about engine swaps, and would like to do just that. What is a good cheaper engine to swap with it, as in easy fit? Also, what cars would the engines come from? The car I have now is an automatic, but I also want to put in a 5-speed. I'm not new to working on cars, just the CRX. I used to be into my two Storms that I still have. I have just lost interest in them, because of lack of aftermarket support, and high dollar cost for custom parts. I dont necessarily want the fastest CRX, but just something quicker, and more aftermarket friendly. Thanks in advance!!!

Tim
Old 12-28-2004, 10:04 AM
ED9man
driver

Wiring will not be fun with your DX and you are going to have to go junkyard hunting to find parts for a 5 speed changeover.
Basically you have two options, the cheap way is a better D-series motor, the more expensive but much better option is to get a B-series motor.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:18 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Ah yes. What cars indeed?

The B series engines come from Integra's and Civic Si's.
The D series come from the Civic, Del Sol, and CRX Si (I believe).
Of course you can search the Hybrid and Engine Tech/Tuning forums to get more detailed answers.
The good news about salvage yard surfing is that Americans bought thousands of CRX's so you're pretty much able to get the parts you need.

Welcome to HAN, and have fun with the Rex.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by neogeo92
I used to be into my two Storms
Geo. :lmfao:
Originally Posted by neogeo92
What is a good cheaper engine to swap with it, as in easy fit?
You really need to decide on a budget. Under $1500, you're stuck with a D-series. Over $1500, you start getting into the B16A and B18A/B range. $3k+ would be the B18C area.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:34 PM
neogeo92

I have to agree with Kai on the Geo's. lol. They are sooo hard to find aftermarket parts for, and just too time consuming. I would rather put the time and money into my CRX. Thanks also everyone for the info, I have been doing some research for the past couple of days to see what options I have. Sounds like alot of fun ahead of me. I have always liked Honda's and I was going to get a late '90s Civic, but now I have the CRX to work on. I may still eventually get a Civic to work on.

Tim
Old 12-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Mackenzie C

Originally Posted by Kai
Geo. :lmfao:

ha haha :lmfao: