Notices

Please help, Cracked head?

Old 12-28-2004, 03:59 PM
wffsoccer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, Cracked head?

Anyone know how difficult it is to swap a new head. I just found out my 95 civic had a cracked head and needs to be fixed. any ideas?
thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2004, 06:31 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Hey man. I would say it is fairly challenging if I had to guess. (I've never done it)
But it seems like if you had the right instructions or directions, and some help it could be doable. Good luck mang.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:08 PM
ED9man
driver

You should definently do a new head gasket while it is off.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It's easy, a one day job.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:23 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

you might as well do a whole timing belt and water pump change while the head is off as you have to remove the timing belt anyway and the water pump is easier to get to with the head off...might as well have the cooling system flushed and pressure tested when you get the new head installed

if you want more power
- get the used head port & polished with a 5 angle valve job as
- get the intake manifold and tb p&o too
- get a hondata phenolic intake manifold and tb gaskets to decrease temp
- change to a cooler themostat (runs the fan longer allowing the engine to run cooler = more power
Old 12-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Tankard

I've done it before on my 86 crx when the timing belt broke and bent a valve or two. Not just anybody can do it. When i had mine apart my cousin came by and saw it in pieces and said how in the heck do you know what your doing. You have to have some mechanical ability, tools, and the service manual for your car. I had a machine shop rework the head. Was'nt to expensive doing it myself, other than redoing the head after it was off. A cracked head will have to be replaced though i would think. Absolutely get a used one somewhere. I'm sure a new head from Honda would cost more than your cars worth. I remeber i got a gasket kit for reassembly. I remeber i also had to put a seal on the end of the shaft after they reworked it. The seal came with the gasket kit. And like jaja said, it would be dumb not to go ahead and change the timing belt, other belts, and water pump while its apart.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Tankard
A cracked head will have to be replaced though i would think.
Right, there is no reasonable way to fix a cracked head. Throw it in the dumpster and find a replacement.