Notices

mpg?

Old 12-11-2004, 10:15 AM
ED9man
driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mpg?

Is it normal that an aggresive driving style could be bringing my mileage down to something like 20 mpg or worse?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Tankard

I remember changing the fuel filter on my car. After i finished, my car got crappy gas mileage. Like you said, around 20mpg. I found that i did not plug the charcoal canister hose back up that plugs into the firewall. I think that's what it's called. Anyway, after i plugged it back up, i started getting around 35mpg again. To answer your question, i doubt aggressive driving will make your gas mileage that crappy. You've got a problem somewhere. I'm talking about my stock si motor. I have no idea what your b-16a is suppossed to get on fuel mileage.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:16 PM
ED9man
driver

I'm going to find out what my mileage is exactly.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:12 PM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

The harder you drive your car the less gas mileage you get for instance...When I drive at normal speeds for an average person i can get about 350 to 400 miles every fill up which is like 10 days or so with out filling up but when I drive like a bat out of hell like I usually do i get around 25 mpg which rounds out to about 250 to 275 miles evey fill up and that is like every 5 to 6 days fo rme or less....So pretty muc the harder you drive the more gas you burn which leads to decrease in mpg........

Hoped I helped!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 07:31 PM
augy

How agressive are we talking? If you shift at 5k rpms at every on-ramp, you'll burn fuel fast. I shift at 3-4k rpms and get over 30 mpg. As mentioned before, 20 sounds like an actual systematic problem. If you've got an ef, you could have a terribly clogged fuel filter, which would bring it down some, but not to 20. Try replacing it--it's a good place to start, and you'll get a chance to check that all your other hoses are hooked up while you're in there.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:26 AM
ED9man
driver

I'm not sure it's that bad. I'm going to find an actual figure with this new tank of gas. I just did a fuel filter but I have a vaccum problem where it lags somewhat. I really rev it high alot. It's just the kind of car and motor I have, it feels like a motorcycle so I drive it like one.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:43 AM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

Originally Posted by augy
How agressive are we talking? If you shift at 5k rpms at every on-ramp, you'll burn fuel fast. I shift at 3-4k rpms and get over 30 mpg. As mentioned before, 20 sounds like an actual systematic problem. If you've got an ef, you could have a terribly clogged fuel filter, which would bring it down some, but not to 20. Try replacing it--it's a good place to start, and you'll get a chance to check that all your other hoses are hooked up while you're in there.

Well see I wouldn't know how high I am shifting cause I do not have a tach...lol....Which I probably need to get one...And I am just an aggressive driver so I am probably shifting at 5k RPMS lol
Old 12-12-2004, 11:52 AM
ED9man
driver

I take it up to 8200 all the time.
I'll sit in the lowest possible gear around long corners and exit hard.
I always heel toe downshift which wastes gas.

What is the worst possible mileage with this motor?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:57 PM
augy

Originally Posted by ED9man
What is the worst possible mileage with this motor?
No real limit. My dad's van has a little gauge which approximates mpg. When you accelerate hard (it's an automatic), the gauge goes down to _2_ miles per gallon. Regular driving is 18-20 mpg. And although it's a torquier engine, it still is only revving to like 3500 Rpms. So you can see how big a difference driving style makes. You might want to consider driving a little more conservatively, for your wallet's sake.