Notices

How to install short shifter

Old 12-12-2004, 01:57 PM
B16 Bomber
Phast Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install short shifter

I got the console off and now I am stuck how do I get the stock shifter out and how do i install the short shifter?
Old 12-12-2004, 05:55 PM
slammed91-hatch

you're gonna have to get underneath the vehicle to unbolt the linkage from it, i dont' remember exactly as it's been a while since i've played with that, but once you get under there you'll see what's going on. i think maybe you drop the shifter out the bottom.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:14 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

It's all done from underneath. Once you undo the hardware it drops from the bottom. There is two links down there. One to stablize and one to the tranny. Undo them both and swing it to the side. Undo the shifter nut and bolt and don't lose it because it is not just any old nut and bolt, the specific size make it play free. There's a mount with 2 nuts attached to self-tapping bolts you're gonne have to un-do. This could be a little tough. Once you un-do this the shifter should come right out. Put your new one in the same way, clean and re-grease the bushing and install it onto your new shifter and put everything back together and make sure it is secure. The hardest part may be the self-tapping bolts, sometime they turn when your are trying to turn the nut and there is not a lot of ways to hold it from turning. What I did is hold it in it's place which is the self tapped space with my fingers and pull myself up under the car with one arm which kept the square down as I turned the nut. I had nothing else to get in there and this was a pain in the ass. Once out it was smooth sailing, and I just did the same thing to tighten it, but for some reason it is easier going the other way. Good luck.
P.S. If you want to change out the shift boot, taking out the center console is the way to go.